Dynatrac Axles

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
RCV's are nice shafts, I have run them in the past and they are strong. Are they worth the premium price? Not even close. For the money, you'd be much better served saving your money, buying a set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips and, if you're really feeling like spending money anyway, invest it in something you really need. A lifetime warranty is only as good as your ability to use it and in my opinion, the best warranty is the one you never have to call on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
anyone really. this is the first I have heard of anyone having issues with the RCV's so I was a bit surprised

That's because most people who pay top dollar on parts don't make it a habit to talk smack about it. To do so would be to admit they made a mistake and most people can't get themselves to do that.

RCV's are nice shafts, I have run them in the past and they are strong. Are they worth the premium price? Not even close. For the money, you'd be much better served saving your money, buying a set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips and, if you're really feeling like spending money anyway, invest it in something you really need. A lifetime warranty is only as good as your ability to use it and in my opinion, the best warranty is the one you never have to call on.

I approve this message :cheesy::cheesy: (As if I matter LOL)

Seriously, I love how smooth they are but couldn't Justify them in my rig. They came in the wife's when we got it and made it one trip before I had to rebuild them for flat spotted balls in the CVs and twisted splines on the inner shafts. (The only parts I saved are the boots and outer shafts..) While I thought it was BS... I wouldn't have cared as much if they had stood behind them.

computeruser6

Funny, jnabird didn't blow his ring and pinion. Just twisted the shaft that RCV denied a warranty claim on.

I'm only going off of what RCV is claiming. Whatever bears out in reality may be a different story, I haven't looked into the failure rate of RCV shafts. For the sake of this argument, let's assume what RCV claims is accurate. OP, think about this statement from RCV's website for a minute:

Test results show RCV Ultimate CV Axles for Dana 44 to be twice as strong as Dana 44 OEM axle shafts. They're just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where U-jointed axles are at their weakest. An RCV equipped Dana 44 is effectively as strong as a Dana 60, without the extra weight or loss of ground clearance.

If the RCV data for shaft strength is true, you have a shaft that's as strong as a Dana 60 shaft without having the ring and pinion that can take a commensurate amount of torque. This makes no sense. If you destroy a shaft with a U-joint, you can remove it and replace the shaft or plug the hole and keep going. If the RCV shaft is subjected to it's rated torque, a Dana 44 ring and pinion will fail. An axleshaft that uses a U-joint is a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a ring and pinion. I feel like RCV found a good market slogan, but didn't really think about the logic of what they were stating.

dana-chart.jpg

Last edited:

I don't understand this chart...

The red line is for RCV shaft failure.

It starts at 200 ft-pounds of torque at zero turn. Did they actually have a test failure here and are they implying the shafts get stronger as you turn? :thinking::crazyeyes:

Edit:
Never-mind.... I understand now. It must be too late for my brain. LOL

Last edited:
Here is what I did with our lovely RCV shafts... They are much better suited here :cheesy:

XF3ezITML8fWeHLA6sxs2caVObP8xb22qRL7Xa9XJ5I=w1072-h604-no

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've also personally seen an RCV literally blow apart the CV end of the axle. It literally exploded. I wish I had a picture but I was too busy trying to fix the rig to take a picture. But Eddie and Cindy both saw the same thing I did as they were there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've also personally seen an RCV literally blow apart the CV end of the axle. It literally exploded. I wish I had a picture but I was too busy trying to fix the rig to take a picture. But Eddie and Cindy both saw the same thing I did as they were there.

Yup, I was there to see it with my own eyes. Totally sucked and pissed me off how hard it was to recover the rig because of it especially being that it was so late at night.

I should note that both RanchoRubi and Moochie have all kinds of popping noises coming from their joints. First time I heard it, I literally thought they had a chipped ring gear tooth it was that loud. Apparently, RCV says it's totally normal. :naw:

That's because most people who pay top dollar on parts don't make it a habit to talk smack about it. To do so would be to admit they made a mistake and most people can't get themselves to do that.

Hi, my name is Steve, and I drank the cool aid!
I thought I was doing the right thing by sleeving, gussets, new Orange knuckles, and really expensive RCV shafts! I WISH I would have been more educated and someone would have stepped up like this and told me to save my money! I haven't had problems with it yet,BUT.... I cringe every time I wheel at the thought of those 16 1/2" holes I drilled in my housing to rose weld the shafts in!!! I could have put money I spent on the shafts and knuckles into a PR44 or PR60 housing!!!!!

Spudcannons

Yup, I was there to see it with my own eyes. Totally sucked and pissed me off how hard it was to recover the rig because of it especially being that it was so late at night.

I should note that both RanchoRubi and Moochie have all kinds of popping noises coming from their joints. First time I heard it, I literally thought they had a chipped ring gear tooth it was that loud. Apparently, RCV says it's totally normal. :naw:

Guess I will check out other options tomorrow,,,

Top Bottom