Gobicon

Benito

Caught the Bug
Nice job. I didn't know you were doing long arms before coilover's. Did you wheel it with standard length first?

It's the same shocks and coils that I had on my old Commando Green jeep, yes I wheeled that setup before, just not on the new jeep. I still haven't wheeled with 40s so I'll probably have to replace my bumpstops with some longer ones.

IMG_4151.jpg

What I can say is that it feels like all the shitty roads in town got re-paved over night. It is a night and day difference on pavement.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Are those the standard long arms?

The green jeep had Evo enforcer front adjustable lowers and synergy front adjustable uppers, and stock rear control arms. The new jeep has the EVO high clearance upgrade long arm kit. The front brackets are the same as the ones used on the DD long arm, but the rear brackets mount the upper and lower control arms on the side of the frame.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Nice job. I really want to learn to weld. It seems like such a valuable skill to have regardless of Jeep ownership.

I'm really digging your Jeep though, the more I see that color the more it grows on me.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Nice job. I really want to learn to weld. It seems like such a valuable skill to have regardless of Jeep ownership.

I'm really digging your Jeep though, the more I see that color the more it grows on me.

I want learn how to weld too. Mi amigo did all the welding, he worked on cutting off the brackets on one side while I worked on the other, and then we made sure the new brackets fit, and as he was welding I worked on cutting the axle brackets off. Once we got the control arms in we measured our where the lower control arms needed to be positioned, while welded that I worked on cutting up some Evo Rockstar skids to use as shock mounts and started putting whatever I could back on the jeep.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
The green jeep had Evo enforcer front adjustable lowers and synergy front adjustable uppers, and stock rear control arms. The new jeep has the EVO high clearance upgrade long arm kit. The front brackets are the same as the ones used on the DD long arm, but the rear brackets mount the upper and lower control arms on the side of the frame.

So the only difference is the rears mount higher?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
So the only difference is the rears mount higher?

Higher and on the side of the frame, which requires you to position the lower control arm mount on the axle toward the outside as well. So you have to cut off your factory lower control arm mounts on the axle, which then requires you to come up with a axle shock mount solution.

I used the D60 Evo Rockstar skids, which is meant to mount over the factory lower control arm mounts on the axle, give more clearance, and raises the shock mount. Cut them to fit my needs and had them welded over the new lower control arm mount on the axle

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Since installing the long arm kit, I installed some 4" plush rides, longer rear shocks, 4" rear bump stops, ran a new ARB airline to the rear locker through the cab, got my Evo Rock sliders welded on, mounted some fire extinguishers. Prior to the long arm I installed my Cobra 75, and a rugged Radio unit in the glove box, today I installed a 4gal rotopax and relocated my rear license plate the way Dever posted in the Evo pro Series hinged gate carrier thread.

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

It has been busy busy trying to get the jeep ready for the Texas exodus trip, all I think I have left is to install my rock lights, install my trektop, check everything to be tight, and change the diff fluid, it has already been 1000 miles.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Since installing the long arm kit, I installed some 4" plush rides, longer rear shocks, 4" rear bump stops, ran a new ARB airline to the rear locker through the cab, got my Evo Rock sliders welded on, mounted some fire extinguishers. Prior to the long arm I installed my Cobra 75, and a rugged Radio unit in the glove box, today I installed a 4gal rotopax and relocated my rear license plate the way Dever posted in the Evo pro Series hinged gate carrier thread.

View attachment 276084

View attachment 276085

It has been busy busy trying to get the jeep ready for the Texas exodus trip, all I think I have left is to install my rock lights, install my trektop, check everything to be tight, and change the diff fluid, it has already been 1000 miles.

Looks good! I may have to see how he mounted that. I want to do that with my rotopax

Benito

Caught the Bug
I am more interested in the way the rotopax mount is attached to the tire carrier.

Ahh, kind of the way that the crawler concept has the license plate mount with the angle iron coming through the center of the wheel and the part that you put you lisence plate on has an angle iron that goes over the angle iron coming through the center of the tire with the bolts going through both sides. But the Evo mount has an "angle iron" welded on a plate that sandwiches between the tire carrier and the wheel and comes through, and the part that has the rotopax mount mounted on it has an "angle iron" fits over the part coming through the wheel with a single bolt going through the top.

Angle iron
You_Doodle_2017-09-14T14_33_14Z.jpg

Vs

"Angle iron"
You_Doodle_2017-09-14T14_34_03Z.jpg

And I don't remember exactly how thick either of the angle iron are, the Evo one is beefier than the piece that is on the crawler concept, but that one is only meant to have the license plate on it.

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I think I'd do the way you did. Just that one bolt to undo the mount. Devers uses the wife rotopax mount which is probably stronger, but more of a pain to remove.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I think I'd do the way you did. Just that one bolt to undo the mount. Devers uses the wife rotopax mount which is probably stronger, but more of a pain to remove.

I would also add that the weight of the rotopax isn't being held by only the mount, I have the rotopax up against the tire and the mount is pulling the rotopax into the tire. So it has a clamping force holding the pax to the tire.

Top Bottom