Guess your reputation around the web is accurate.

Brute

Hooked
I noticed that my slippers are getting a bit thin and I should replace them...anyone know where I can have them retreaded?...I'd like to save .29...

swinler

I see that, and that was my point with the price. Why buy a treadright or retread when you can buy a brand new tire for around the same price?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't know. If Treadwright is pricing their tires fairly (I.e., they're not making some enormous profit margin), then I'd guess the other brands might be skimping somewhere.

SilverBack775

I don't know. If Treadwright is pricing their tires fairly (I.e., they're not making some enormous profit margin), then I'd guess the other brands might be skimping somewhere.

Yeah that's possible as well. I'm sure these cheaper tires are probably not the best either. May wear faster or what not. But I know that I would feel better driving something new down the road. And not have to worry about a blow out. And you say way back that you can get 5 for a 1000 bucks. If you've saved that long for that much. Why not save more and wait longer to get better ones? At least this is my thinking.

Scrambler

Sorry, which post?

Quote Originally Posted by swinler View Post
Here's a nice summary of the retread / remold manufacturing process (see p.18). Treadwright uses the mold-cure process. Today's more successful retreading practices chemically bond the new rubber to the recycled casing rubber. This process is analogous to welding. The older, inferior "recapping" processes used an adhesive, so the new rubber and casing were bonded to the adhesive, but not necessarily directly to each other. The older process would be analogous to soldering or brazing.

http://web.mit.edu/ebm/www/Publicati...I-1-h-2010.pdf

If this process is so revolutionary, then why did one tire blow on me and THEN (and most importantly) the warranty tire I got as a replacement not have the tread "welded" in the middle? I could grab a center lug and literally lift the tread off of the old tire. I feel like you have some sort of affiliation with Treadwright as much skin as you are putting in this game. If that is the case, I would love for you to reimburse me for some of my costs associated with the first blowout. Let's take a little trip down memory lane.....

I was on my way to Windrock for a ride and bam! 80 MPH tire blows. I pulled the vehicle safely over to the side of the road and while waiting on roadside assistance to give me a tow...wait for it....BAM! Stung in the neck by a wasp. Turns out I am highly allergic to wasps and had to spend 2 nights in a hospital. All because this stupid tire blew out. Please excuse me if I am a little hard on your wonderful Treadwright tires. The icing on the cake was the warranty tire I received

Ddays

Hooked
This retread thread is retarded. Reminds me of when my kids keep on arguing a point long after everyone else has moved on. Why don't you too? :idontknow:

swinler

Here's a question, would you feel safe running treadright on a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pulling a 5th feel?

If they offer a tire originally designed for that application, sure I'd consider them. I'd also search for any known problems with that particular tire. Could be that certain sizes or types may be more problematic than others. All I've tried to say here is that there is no significant compromise in safety between remolds and brand new, according to some very good studies.

longarmwj

If they offer a tire originally designed for that application, sure I'd consider them. I'd also search for any known problems with that particular tire. Could be that certain sizes or types may be more problematic than others. All I've tried to say here is that there is no significant compromise in safety between remolds and brand new, according to some very good studies.

Why are you so dead set on trying to prove these "amazing" retread tires to us? 95% of the members here only use top shelf quality parts when building their Jeep, so why would you try to prove time and time again that your bottom shelf poor people tires are superior :thinking:

SilverBack775

Ok I get what your saying, and you could be right. However for me, it's still a piece of mind. And when I have my kids and my dogs in my jeep going down the road, I need safety. Anything can happen to any tire, but the probability is a lot less with new then retread. If you want to run them, go for it!

madstiles

Not bad. One thing I have noticed with mud tires. If they are not snipped they tend to wear worse. I got some used ones from WJCO...they were 255/75/17 BFG M/t's. They do not come that way and I set my counter on them when I put them on. Noticed right at about 9,000 they started to show some uneven wear and I will rotate them now. You usually have to rotate these anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000. I am stuck on snipped mud tires and will look for those from now on. Just my honest observed opinion.
I think it's called siping but i understand what you are saying. Good info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

swinler

Why are you so dead set on trying to prove these "amazing" retread tires to us? 95% of the members here only use top shelf quality parts when building their Jeep, so why would you try to prove time and time again that your bottom shelf poor people tires are superior :thinking:

Just trying to show an alternative to a misconception. I like "top-shelf" quality components too, but I also understand that they don't always require top dollar. $100 for a set of "top shelf" SS brake lines? What's that all about? My local parts store can make a set for maybe $20 with a no-bs guarantee.

There's a guy in my club that will make any bumper or rock rail using merely a photo of what you want for a fraction of the "top shelf" price and as strong as you want it. Steel, aluminum, no problem.

Last edited:

swinler

Ok I get what your saying, and you could be right. However for me, it's still a piece of mind. And when I have my kids and my dogs in my jeep going down the road, I need safety. Anything can happen to any tire, but the probability is a lot less with new then retread. If you want to run them, go for it!

I get that too - peace-of-mind makes all the difference. Just don't skimp on the tire maintenance because that along with road hazards are what really kill tires more than anything else. :beer:

Top Bottom