HEMMED the SEAMS - RUBICAT Trimmed to Fit 40's

Riptide9

I cut the same amount off for my 40's but then I took the piece I cut out and used it to trace a flat steel sheet and welded it over the opening so the foam isn't exposed. Now it looks factory :)

WJCO

Meme King
I cut the same amount off for my 40's but then I took the piece I cut out and used it to trace a flat steel sheet and welded it over the opening so the foam isn't exposed. Now it looks factory :)

Welcome to Wayalife. I'm sure it looks clean, but I've had a hell of a time welding that area even with low heat. It just blows holes through the metal and that foam inside caught on fire on one side on me so I gave up.

Riptide9

Welcome to Wayalife. I'm sure it looks clean, but I've had a hell of a time welding that area even with low heat. It just blows holes through the metal and that foam inside caught on fire on one side on me so I gave up.

Yes took some time.. used .23 mig to just spot every 1/4 inch all the way around then ground smooth with a flapdisc. I used jb weld steel stick as filler to sand smooth then bedlined it.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I did mine today. Popped the wheels off and let the angle grinder rip! I used a finger of great stuff rtv to cover the foam, and silver rustoluem to seal the bare metal.

OneTonJK

Eddie, did you need to do any clearance work on the front wheel wells?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, did you need to do any clearance work on the front wheel wells?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Yes, I had done quite a bit of trimming up front in the past, back when I was running 40" Mud Grapplers. I'll try to take a post up some pics of it today.

OneTonJK

Yes, I had done quite a bit of trimming up front in the past, back when I was running 40" Mud Grapplers. I'll try to take a post up some pics of it today.
I'd appreciate that. I'm likely going to make the jump from 37s to 40s on my next set of tires, and my 37s are getting into the rear of the well already. I think you're running the same amount of lift as I am, so I was curious how you got 40s to stuff properly up front.

aTX427

And you have the DTD as well correct? Are you running 12" coilover's and if so how much up travel do you have? I'm trying to understand how LCG you are on 40's compared to mine on 37's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. About how much meat did you wind up cutting off? I assume they clear 100% now?

Compare the pic I posted up with what's on your Jeep for a more accurate comparison but this is about what was removed.

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes, they clear 100% now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And you have the DTD as well correct? Are you running 12" coilover's and if so how much up travel do you have? I'm trying to understand how LCG you are on 40's compared to mine on 37's.

Yes, running DTD with 12" coil overs up front and 8" in the rear on the EVO Lever. Because of how the kit is designed, I get a full 14" of vertical travel. Up front, I have about 3.5"-4" of up travel and in the rear, about 5" or so at a full bump.

Top Bottom