I'm torn between front bumpers

SoCalDozer

Just to be clear...I am not sure I would characterize cutting the crossmember off to be cutting the frame. For whatever reason cutting the frame might turn people off and what needs to be cut off is far from that. :thumb:

Yeah I knew some would take it that way, that's why I made sure to say it has nothing to so with strength as far as the frame goes. The actual crossmember is a little farther back.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah I knew some would take it that way, that's why I made sure to say it has nothing to so with strength as far as the frame goes. The actual crossmember is a little farther back.

I know you didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to clarify this "the only ones I know that require you to cut the frame are the EVO." Some people have selective reading skills. :beer:

Now, what I'm expecting is some to claim that I am a fanboy, defending EVO, bashing whomever...blah...blah...blah! :cheesy:

JK's JK

Banned
Look at the install for the poison spyder set up. It goes further than the cross member but 2" into the frame. I would really have to think about it due to having to stick with one bumper. Well luckly i have some time to think!!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If you cut that piece off without a bumper going on right away your frame will bend in.

Paisano

I know you didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to clarify this "the only ones I know that require you to cut the frame are the EVO." Some people have selective reading skills. :beer:

Now, what I'm expecting is some to claim that I am a fanboy, defending EVO, bashing whomever...blah...blah...blah! :cheesy:

There you go pushing EVO again! Someone post what nuts they like and you say EVO! Some people just want a planters or an Almond Joy!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paisano

This thread is not helping me. 😳 I'm leaning toward the LOD stubby lite with stinger. But there are a few good points on EVO, which is my 1B choice. Thanks for the confusion. 😉😂

I love the looks of my LOD With Stinger, but it sticks out to far. EVO bumper has grown on me and if I had to do over I'd get the EVO. The clearance is significantly better.
By sticks out to far I mean bumper, not the stinger.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
...... Not gonna say it.......not gonna........nope.......Fuh...Fuh ... Nope not gonna.........FANBOY!

JAGS

Hooked
I love the looks of my LOD With Stinger, but it sticks out to far. EVO bumper has grown on me and if I had to do over I'd get the EVO. The clearance is significantly better.
By sticks out to far I mean bumper, not the stinger.

Thanks paisano. Which LOD do you have? The hard part is getting to see the exact LOD right next to the EVO.

Paisano

Thanks paisano. Which LOD do you have? The hard part is getting to see the exact LOD right next to the EVO.

The Evo bumper grows on ya but more important it just performs better. In Moab I had to approach things at an angle or I would of beat the crap out of my LOD where the EVO's clearance really stood out.

suicideking

I like the weight of the Armor Lite LOD series, supposedly weighs less than the OEM bumper. I'm probably going to get a bull bar bumper though.

Torn between the LOD and Genright. Not crazy about how narrow the Evo is, doesn't completely cover the front grill + only comes with a stinger and not a bull bar. Seems like not many run the Genright. Anyone have anything bad (or good) to say about it?

StrizzyChris

Are all these short stubby bumpers having to cut the frame?

I know you've already got a few answers, but to more clearly respond, many bumpers will require you to cut off the lower swaybar skid/air dam mounting bar off...if its a high clearance bumper. The more approach angle then its gotta go. This bar is really not a source of strength for the frame and is only really "needed" for mounting the plastic factory air dam.

The PSC bumper does require cutting off the ends of the frame. Its not a bumper for the guy who changes their mind all the time, but it is built to last/perform and is just as strong as any other bumper out there.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I know you've already got a few answers, but to more clearly respond, many bumpers will require you to cut off the lower swaybar skid/air dam mounting bar off...if its a high clearance bumper. The more approach angle then its gotta go. This bar is really not a source of strength for the frame and is only really "needed" for mounting the plastic factory air dam.

Take your EVO bumper off for a couple weeks and say its not needed for strength. :thumb:

JK's JK

Banned

The PSC bumper does require cutting off the ends of the frame. Its not a bumper for the guy who changes their mind all the time, but it is built to last/perform and is just as strong as any other bumper out there.

I'm torn so many ways on this damn jeep, I have no idea at this point what's the best approach.

Thank you for the input on the bumper. I like the EVO and the PSC bumpers.

StrizzyChris

Take your EVO bumper off for a couple weeks and say its not needed for strength. :thumb:

Just so we are on the same page, we are talking about lower air dam mounting bar correct?

2012_Jeep_Wrangler_bumper_install_9_bumper_off_9-thumb-717x477-122616.jpg

This IS NOT a cross member and is not there for the structural integrity of the frame. The tube between the frame below the radiator, THAT is a crossmember.

bl17z90

Not crazy about how narrow the Evo is, doesn't completely cover the front grill + only comes with a stinger and not a bull bar.

You can actually put the purejeep bull bar on the evo bumper. Eddie and Cindy ran Rubicat like that at first i beleive.

Paisano

Just so we are on the same page, we are talking about lower air dam mounting bar correct?

This IS NOT a cross member and is not there for the structural integrity of the frame. The tube between the frame below the radiator, THAT is a crossmember.
Did you set the Toe yourself? :eek:

JK's JK

Banned

I was on my Ipod when I posted cross member........Couldn't research the name prop......

suicideking

You can actually put the purejeep bull bar on the evo bumper. Eddie and Cindy ran Rubicat like that at first i beleive.

Wow! Didn't know that! Was it much work to get the PJ bull bar on? Really like that look. Kind of reminds me of the Metalcloak bumper, but I don't like the MC bull bars. Hmm.

Found this pic:

Attachments

• Evo PJ.jpg
    Evo PJ.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom