I'm torn between front bumpers

Paisano

Paisano, do you have the "air dam" mounting bar on your JK with you LōD bumper. I have thought about getting the skid plate, but I think that just cutting it off would be easier...

andrew-
Yes I do, the bumper directions didn't require removing it.

Paisano

okay.... I am wondering if removing it will be okay. it seems like it would give a bit more clearance without it... :confused:

andrew-

Well I originally thought I was going to mount a front license plate on the skid but its to far underneath for that. The skid is beefy and in Moab and corral canyon never got a mark on it. Rubicon I'll see but so far clearance hasn't been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well I originally thought I was going to mount a front license plate on the skid but its to far underneath for that. The skid is beefy and in Moab and corral canyon never got a mark on it. Rubicon I'll see but so far clearance hasn't been an issue.

very good sir! thanks

andrew-

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just so we are on the same page, we are talking about lower air dam mounting bar correct?

2012_Jeep_Wrangler_bumper_install_9_bumper_off_9-thumb-717x477-122616.jpg

This IS NOT a cross member and is not there for the structural integrity of the frame. The tube between the frame below the radiator, THAT is a crossmember.

Same page. As I said before cut it off and go no bumper.

StrizzyChris

Did you set the Toe yourself? :eek:

:cheesy: I stole this pic from the internet real fast to clarify that we're all talkin about the same thing.

I was on my Ipod when I posted cross member........Couldn't research the name prop......

No that comment wasn't towards your post. It was to the comment of how important it is

Same page. As I said before cut it off and go no bumper.

So you think without it the frame will warp? If so that's a lot of faith Chrysler placed in some flimsy sheet metal to magically stabilize the frame :eek:

jeeeep

Hooked
if you plan to cut off the lower air dam support bar and you have a Rubicon, you'll want to rotate the electric sway bar unit up and out of the way

bl17z90

So I havn't been able to see a straight answer. You do have the remove the bar that the OEM airdam mounts to when you install the Evo bumper?

suicideking

The one thing that concerns me about this bumper vs. something like the Genright, PSC, or LOD: Is the unprotected area of the front grill likely to take a lot of damage? I do like that it will give more wheel clearance. I don't plan on going larger than 37's, but I guess you never know.

The LOD on the other hand, seems to extend too far past the grill. Not sure if that would be a problem with 37's?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You would take damage if you hit something maybe. But chances are if you hit something it'll mess up the grill no matter what bumper your running. This is the best shot I have but there isn't that much hanging over that could get hit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375491592.046612.jpg

TheStick

The one thing that concerns me about this bumper vs. something like the Genright, PSC, or LOD: Is the unprotected area of the front grill likely to take a lot of damage? I do like that it will give more wheel clearance. I don't plan on going larger than 37's, but I guess you never know.

The LOD on the other hand, seems to extend too far past the grill. Not sure if that would be a problem with 37's?

One I am looking at is the expedition one core series front bumper. Just a tad wider than the average stubby.

StrizzyChris

Yeah like overlander said....it would have to be a very rare, perfectly placed, very narrow, pointy rock to fit between the bumper and the tire to damage the grill. It's possible, but so unlikely that I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor

GCM 2

You would take damage if you hit something maybe......

Yeah like overlander said....it would have to be a very rare, perfectly placed, very narrow, pointy rock to fit between the bumper and the tire to damage the grill. It's possible, but so unlikely that I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor

Unless you are trying obstacles like this undercut waterfall, you probably don't have much to worry about when it comes to the grill. Had I been running a full width bumper, I would not have been able to even get my tire to grab on the approach. Stubbies look cool, but they are ultimately designed to allow you to climb this kind of obstacle.

image-2608661824.jpg

image-3762612784.jpg

It's pretty hard to see that the very front driver side pushed in a little bit and doesn't quite sit on the outside lines of the grill

image-2309089483.jpg

image-1287071623.jpg

It's pretty hard to see that the very front driver side pushed in a little bit and doesn't quite sit on the outside lines of the grill

to be honest, it is hard to see anything there with all the glare coming off of your rig. EVERYTHING is so very shinney!!!!!

andrew-

ttfhell

Unless you are trying obstacles like this undercut waterfall, you probably don't have much to worry about when it comes to the grill. Had I been running a full width bumper, I would not have been able to even get my tire to grab on the approach. Stubbies look cool, but they are ultimately designed to allow you to climb this kind of obstacle.

View attachment 42802

View attachment 42804

View attachment 42805

View attachment 42806

Wherever that place is I want to go there. Looks awesome.

GCM 2

Wherever that place is I want to go there. Looks awesome.

Payette Draw, Payson Arizona. The funny thing is that it's actually kind of a boring 20 minutes of driving up a not very difficult rock garden, most stock vehicles can get through with zero problems. The water fall is at the end and really the reason why we go. Google it, there are tons of videos on how to get up if you are running big tires and no fenders.

Here's the few from the top

image-2078860174.jpg

Here's the by pass on the left

Attachments

• image-3076562297.jpg
    image-3076562297.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 114
Top Bottom