Metal cloak coils?

JK1

The way i understand it the reason the are made the way they are is so you can run 3" OME long travel shocks and the 2.5" spring won't unseat.. This is the way they sell their kits. when i talked to them they informed me that the OME shocks where the best valved shocks for their setup. I know a few people running these and they are very happy but like Eddie said after spending the money on a lift it would be hard to hate it lol... I'm not running them nor will i be i just called the company cuz i was curious about them and a freind was wanting a set and he asked me my opionon and i told him evo plush ride but he was hung up on evo not selling different springs for a 2 door and he had talked to some people that has the MC and went that direction... its his rig

Last edited:

TheStick

The way i understand it the reason the are made the way they are is so you can run 3" OME long travel shocks and the 2.5" spring won't unseat.. This is the way they sell their kits. when i talked to them they informed me that the OME shocks where the best valved shocks for their setup. I know a few people running these ant they are very happy but like Eddie said after spending the money on a lift it would be hard to hate it lol... I'm not running them nor will i be i just called the company cuz i was curious about them and a freind was wanting a set and he asked me my opionon and i told him evo plush ride but he was hung up on evo not selling different springs for a 2 door and he had talked to some people that has the MC and went that direction... its his rig

The OME combo is the direction I'd go as well, but haven't gotten to test that setup unfortunately.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The way i understand it the reason the are made the way they are is so you can run 3" OME long travel shocks and the 2.5" spring won't unseat.. This is the way they sell their kits. when i talked to them they informed me that the OME shocks where the best valved shocks for their setup. I know a few people running these ant they are very happy but like Eddie said after spending the money on a lift it would be hard to hate it lol... I'm not running them nor will i be i just called the company cuz i was curious about them and a freind was wanting a set and he asked me my opionon and i told him evo plush ride but he was hung up on evo not selling different springs for a 2 door and he had talked to some people that has the MC and went that direction... its his rig

That depends on the person. I personally do (and have) posted up reviews of mods I have bought and hated (including 3.21 gears, my AEV 2.5" lift cut corners, IPF headlights, etc.) I agree with Eddie 100% that 99% of forum peeps won't knock something they have spent their money on. I have done it on BMW forums when I had my M3, on the s2000 forums, on audi forums, etc. It doesn't do anyone any good blowing smoke up people's ass saying something is awesome when you know it sucks.

JK1

true but if it sucks after you get it its a hard pill to swallow and most wont lol :beer:

enjoylife

when wayolife quotes this....
Actually, if you were to compress an entire coil, it will have gone "solid" and that is a bad thing. If you do that even when hitting the biggest pothole or flexed out, you will have over-compressed your coil. In other words, you will have compressed it to the point where it does not return to its original height. This is the primary reason why you need to install bump stop extensions and at a height that is relatively equal to the amount of lift you just installed.

i guess this is what explains why the front of my tj jeep leans to the right?:idontknow:
the bump stops were beatin to a pulp and non existent. i took it upon myself to replace the bump stops though when i rebuilt the jeep. but it may be smart to replace my coils then. the lift is a rubicon express 6.5 inch long arm lift kit. may be best to contact the company for more to replace? or find a different style coil that may be better for my jeep..?:crazy eyes:
the jeep has a lot of body roll when the quick disconnects are off. as if I'm kinda riding on slinks. for shocks i am using bilstiens for now

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Actually, if you were to compress an entire coil, it will have gone "solid" and that is a bad thing. If you do that even when hitting the biggest pothole or flexed out, you will have over-compressed your coil. In other words, you will have compressed it to the point where it does not return to its original height. This is the primary reason why you need to install bump stop extensions and at a height that is relatively equal to the amount of lift you just installed.

i guess this is what explains why the front of my tj jeep leans to the right?:idontknow:
the bump stops were beatin to a pulp and non existent. i took it upon myself to replace the bump stops though when i rebuilt the jeep. but it may be smart to replace my coils then. the lift is a rubicon express 6.5 inch long arm lift kit. may be best to contact the company for more to replace? or find a different style coil that may be better for my jeep..?:crazy eyes:
the jeep has a lot of body roll when the quick disconnects are off. as if I'm kinda riding on slinks. for shocks i am using bilstiens for now

I don't know much about TJs, so I can't help with the coil situation, but the quick disconnects being off is certainly giving you massive body roll, which is why you are not supposed to run disconnected when on tarmac.

enjoylife

even with the quid disconnects on it it quick to lean over and the quick disconnects having to do their job

bmwegr

"great" is relative. You're basing this compared to what? A 4 inch Mopar performance lift? Which one? The one that was built off of a Superlift coil or RE?

Thanks for your perspective and time wayoflife. The Mopar lift I am referencing is PN P5155404AB (http://www.mopar.com/shop/lift-kits/4-inch/) I don’t know if it’s a Superlift or RE made lift. I do know that on our JKU with a full width winch bumper and Warn Powerplant that there was a downward rake (nose down), perhaps a spacer may have been a good solution get the front end up a bit.

Cjacks95

Banned
first off thank you for all your quick responses and for your information on the topic and i didnt think this thread was going to blow up like this!:blush:

for the plush coils. do the single rate coils sag a little when you load gear into the jeep? i have quite a bit of weight as it is but occasionally i go wheeling for a whole week and have to be "self contained" so i have to carry a lot of gear.

for the MC coils. im hearing great things about them so im actually thinking theyre a competitor with the plush coils.

so far they both sound like great coils but im still beginning to understand the dual rate coils :thinking: i want a smooth ride but not to squishy :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Once installed, they should be touching right? That means the weight of the JKU would need to sag the flex section first, thus, using up the initial sag only in the flex section.

Sorry but, that would not be correct. At ride height, the upper "flex" portion of the coil is solid but, the lower ride portion will be compressed as well as it will be holding up the weight of the Jeep. As your axle droops, the ride portion will first have to extend to the point where the load on it has been released before the upper flex portion can even begin to extend as well. The only purpose of the flex portion of the coil is to prevent the unseating of the coil at an extreme droop. It offers no other ride quality benefits - ZERO.

The RK coils don't have enough of the flex coils to absorb the initial sag, which means they would need to cut into the road rate sag (thus giving an inaccurate ride height and losing compression "meat")...

Not exactly. The amount of winds the RK coils have on the softer upper portion of the spring is designed to hold the weight of a Jeep and offer a more comfortable ride. Whether or not they actually work well or work at all is another story but, unlike the MC coils, they do actually do something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But if it does add droop you're adding total flex right? So this is difference than adding a puck.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I think adds to my previous question. I've never heard of a coil limiting up travel. So more droop would seem more flex to me. Who fully compresses a coil before the shock or bump stops?

You can't just get more droop because you run a longer coil. There's only one way you can get more droop and that's by running a longer shock. The problem is, that extra length has to come from somewhere and if you're running a standard shock, that length will come from a shock tube that is longer too. In other words, while you may be able to get more droop out of a longer shock, you will also effectively limit the amount of stuff or up travel you have. Unless you raise your Jeep sky high, you will be bottoming out your shocks way before you can achieve a good amount of stuff.

Good point and I phrased that wrong. But you still need a coil that can properly expand for the given shock length or it could become unseated.

Correct?

Just an FYI, these are on my short list is why I'm asking. I took a ride in a JK with this setup and loved it. But it did have the whole six pack shock setup which I would not be going with.

If you have a shock that is too long for the coils you are running, they will become unseated. But again, there is more to good flex than just big droop. A well balanced Jeep will have a low stance with good droop AND stuff. The gimmicky and expensive shocks that MC sells will help you to do this but, for how much they cost, I personally think you'd be better off getting a set of coil overs. But, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The way i understand it the reason the are made the way they are is so you can run 3" OME long travel shocks and the 2.5" spring won't unseat.. This is the way they sell their kits. when i talked to them they informed me that the OME shocks where the best valved shocks for their setup. I know a few people running these and they are very happy but like Eddie said after spending the money on a lift it would be hard to hate it lol... I'm not running them nor will i be i just called the company cuz i was curious about them and a freind was wanting a set and he asked me my opionon and i told him evo plush ride but he was hung up on evo not selling different springs for a 2 door and he had talked to some people that has the MC and went that direction... its his rig

Again, droop has to come from somewhere. In this case, it'll come from a longer shock tube and if you're running a short lift, your shocks will limit the amount of stuff you have. There's just no way around it.

That depends on the person. I personally do (and have) posted up reviews of mods I have bought and hated (including 3.21 gears, my AEV 2.5" lift cut corners, IPF headlights, etc.) I agree with Eddie 100% that 99% of forum peeps won't knock something they have spent their money on. I have done it on BMW forums when I had my M3, on the s2000 forums, on audi forums, etc. It doesn't do anyone any good blowing smoke up people's ass saying something is awesome when you know it sucks.

The problem is, you can't really hate or even dislike something if you've never run anything other than what you've chosen to buy.

Yes, it is very likely that you have over compressed your coil and that's why you now have a lean. After replacing your coil, you should take care to install bump stop extensions that roughly match the amount of lift you have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
for the plush coils. do the single rate coils sag a little when you load gear into the jeep? i have quite a bit of weight as it is but occasionally i go wheeling for a whole week and have to be "self contained" so i have to carry a lot of gear.

The Plush Ride coils are designed to offer a nice comfortable ride and to do this, they are made with a soft spring rate. In other words, when loaded up, yes, they will compress or "sag" under that load. When I ran them, I used a set of coil spacers to help make up the difference. Of course, there are a lot of other coils that will hold up a load better but, will not offer as nice of a ride. You just have to decide what's more important to you.

for the MC coils. im hearing great things about them so im actually thinking theyre a competitor with the plush coils.

so far they both sound like great coils but im still beginning to understand the dual rate coils :thinking: i want a smooth ride but not to squishy :crazyeyes:

A "squishy" ride comes from cheap shocks that don't dampen very well - not from soft coils.

Cjacks95

Banned
The Plush Ride coils are designed to offer a nice comfortable ride and to do this, they are made with a soft spring rate. In other words, when loaded up, yes, they will compress or "sag" under that load. When I ran them, I used a set of coil spacers to help make up the difference. Of course, there are a lot of other coils that will hold up a load better but, will not offer as nice of a ride. You just have to decide what's more important to you.

But also I'm a 2door so they can take the weight of a 4dr correct? So when I'm loaded I won't sag as much? Sorry if these questions seem stupid I just don't want to end up buying something I hate

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
But also I'm a 2door so they can take the weight of a 4dr correct? So when I'm loaded I won't sag as much? Sorry if these questions seem stupid I just don't want to end up buying something I hate

yes this is true. Hinrich has the 3" plush rides on his 2 door but yeilds closer to 3.5"+. so loaded it you may sag a little but unloaded you will sit a little higher.

enjoylife

Yes, it is very likely that you have over compressed your coil and that's why you now have a lean. After replacing your coil, you should take care to install bump stop extensions that roughly match the amount of lift you have.[/QUOTE]

the bump stops have been replaced correctly and everything is now in place but all that needs to take place is replacing the coils. it may be best to just contact rubicon express and get another set of coils

Top Bottom