Metal cloak coils?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Since we are on the subject. What is a realistic out the door price of the bolt on coil overs bottoms up? I.e. Once you include control arms, trackbars, etc.

You don't need trackbars, it comes with a rear bracket. You should invest in a drag link flip however. I ran it for months without it. It was OK, but not great either.

I'm running the bare minimum for the bolt of coilovers.

Front and rear coilover kit. $3600
Drag link flip $300??
Front lower control arms. $300??

Not to mention, you will need to replace the front driveshaft. I would replace both.

TheStick

You don't need trackbars, it comes with a rear bracket. You should invest in a drag link flip however. I ran it for months without it. It was OK, but not great either.

I'm running the bare minimum for the bolt of coilovers.

Front and rear coilover kit. $3600
Drag link flip $300??
Front lower control arms. $300??

Not to mention, you will need to replace the front driveshaft. I would replace both.

Cool. That actually brings up another question I've had. The front trackbar. Many kits include them. EVO does not. Why or why not?

BTW, I know we are off topic of the original post so if this should be moved cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. That actually brings up another question I've had. The front trackbar. Many kits include them. EVO does not. Why or why not?

EVO sells a draglink flip/front track bar relocation kit. This is better than a new track bar as it will not only help to recenter your axle, it will also correct your steering geometry. This will actually help improve handling.

It should be noted that if you already have a lift kit with things like adjustable control arms, track bars, etc, you can simply use the bolt on coil overs in place of the coils and shocks you have now.

JK1

I will say the JSPEC springs are a very soft ride and the 3.5 RK springs i put on were almost the exact height of the 2" JSPEC's but to be honest the RK 3.5 none progressive spring doesnt ride to bad i wish i had someone here that had the plush ride EVO's so i could try them.. :beer:

first pic is RK 2.5 and MC 2.5...
1504018_779996698694041_802435091_n.jpg

this pic is MC 2.5 and JESPEC 2"
20140112_164908.jpg

kpig

Metalcloak vs plush ride

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I thought I would share my experience with both the metalcloak and plush ride coils. I have replaced the Metalcloak 3.5" coils with Evo 4" Plush Ride coils to soften the ride a bit and get rid of the front rake with the Metalcloak coils. I know I could have thrown in a spacer, but I'm just not a fan of spacers. After doing my research, both coils are almost the same extended length. After installing the coils, I can barely notice a difference in ride quality. The plush rides are staying on since they net a little more lift height in front giving a more level stance, and on larger bumps, they tend to be a touch softer.

I had an issue with the original 6 pak shocks stiffening up over time (which is what caused my hunt for softer springs not originally discovering the problem with the shocks), but Will at Metalcloak was quick to send out replacements that are now much better. I don't know what changed, but the newer shocks are definitely a softer ride.

Take it for what it's worth. I just thought to share my experience. i do have a bit of remorse not going with coilovers and long arm, but I just wanted to try something different.

the benefit of the 6 pak shocks is in compression travel, but with 37s, they still recommend 3" bump stops with their over line fenders and 4" with regular flat fenders, which leaves a lot of unused compression travel on the shock. The irony is that you gain no additional droop travel relative to standard shocks. I ran 11" travel Rancho 9000s temporarily while waiting for the new shocks. Extended length for the front 9000s were actually .5" longer than the 6 paks. I had no issues with over compression of the 9000s since I am running 4" of bumpstops for genright fenders. I ended up ordering extended rod ends for the 6 pak shocks to convert a bit of the extra compression travel into droop.

In the end, I am still satisfied with the purchase, but ultimately a bit disappointed that for the $$$$ i really didn't gain much useable performance without modifying the kit.

the benefit of the 6 pak shocks is in compression travel, but with 37s, they still recommend 3" bump stops with their over line fenders and 4" with regular flat fenders, which leaves a lot of unused compression travel on the shock. The irony is that you gain no additional droop travel relative to standard shocks.

I don't understand why they do this. I am running 2" of bump front and rear with only a slight rub on my PSC fenders at full stuff.

sent via my phone... which means I'm waiting for something and have gotten bored

kpig

I don't understand why they do this. I am running 2" of bump front and rear with only a slight rub on my PSC fenders at full stuff.

sent via my phone... which means I'm waiting for something and have gotten bored

I went with Metalcloaks recommended bumpstop height and from others with the same 37" tire and flat fenders. I was running 3" of bumpstop with slight rubbing, so went with the recommended 4" to stop any rub. Plus I'm installing an EVO drag link flip. Our setups may be different explaining the difference in rub. Who knows. With that extra inch or two, I'd rather use it for droop. In the end it just works for me. Thanks.

vitodivita

After installing the coils, I can barely notice a difference in ride quality. The plush rides are staying on since they net a little more lift height in front giving a more level stance, and on larger bumps, they tend to be a touch softer.

That kinda sucks to hear. What shocks are you running? Tires?

kpig

I'm running 37" Toyo mt's at 28 psi with metalcloak 6 pak shocks. Ride is good though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

vitodivita

Great to hear as I will be pulling the AEV lift off in favor of EVO on friday..I already have Ranchos in and they are pretty good so far..

bkac

Caught the Bug
Great to hear as I will be pulling the AEV lift off in favor of EVO on friday..I already have Ranchos in and they are pretty good so far..

:thumbup:
I'm excited to hear what you think!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

kpig

I ran both with the rancho 9000s. I really liked the ride quality with the 9000's set at 4 all around. The springs were too close to really make a difference. The plush coils were just a bit softer on larger bumps. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

kpig

I may go back and try less bump stop. I was thinking about what you said and started looking at what is rubbing. Looks like the tires are rubbing the edge of the liners and not the fenders. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom