Old Crusty- 1958 FC170

GCM 2

Holy shizz-nipple!

I cannot believe I missed this entire thread, very nice score Chris! I will be keeping my eye out for you on some replacement pieces if I come across any donor vehicles. I have located a pretty nice private bone yard for old jeep iron that may have some Foward Control stuff. I will ask the next time I visit there. Congrats :rock:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Good question Frank. The trucks had overheating issues from the factory. Early FC's are the worst. The motor sits between the driver and passenger. With the radiator still a good 1-2' from the grill. Jeep tried to improve the cooling with changed to the cooling tunnel. Basically directs more air into the radiator. However the fix really didn't fix the over heating. So the previous owner like many cut a hole to help with air flow. I've seen radiator mounted in the bed to help and many othe home fixes.

For now I'm hoping installing a old Ramsey winch (original to the truck) will cover the hole.

One of the main reasons I'm upgrading from a 6v charging system to the 12v system is to install a electric fan. This should help with the cooling and bring in more air.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I cannot believe I missed this entire thread, very nice score Chris! I will be keeping my eye out for you on some replacement pieces if I come across any donor vehicles. I have located a pretty nice private bone yard for old jeep iron that may have some Foward Control stuff. I will ask the next time I visit there. Congrats :rock:

Thank you!! Not many parts available for the 170. It's a different beast than the shorter 150

RK Racing

Congratulations on your find. I was looking about a year ago........ I gave up real fast based on what I found.
I knew I did not have that amount of time in my future to put into it.....or at least my wife said so...LOL. I bet you can't wait to cruz that baby. Party On! :rock:

GCM 2

I envy you Chris......in a tired, dirty, sick of working on a project, but can't stop working on a project sort of envy ;)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I envy you Chris......in a tired, dirty, sick of working on a project, but can't stop working on a project sort of envy ;)

X's 2. Haven't got to turn a wrench in a few months. It sucks and makes me feel empty inside. :(

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Couple generations of jeeps... My wife's helping with the rewire. Lucky for me, she knows how to wire it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383424933.912370.jpg

Top Bottom