Over 2 Months and Still No Moby - Manual Transmission Woes

Hightower

Going on 2 Months and Still No Moby

Well, Moby is far from being fixed. In fact, nothing has changed other than the fact that we have a rebuilt transmission that we apparently didn't need and are now out of $1300. That price would have been a lot more but, our service advisor worked hard to cut the price down. Still, we're glad to have Moby back and will try talking to Dynatrac next. What a complete waste of time and money :rolleyes2:

View attachment 23055

From all the run around money spent no solution it sure sounds like your getting this work done in Canada! Good luck at Dynatrac.
;-(

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Best of luck Eddie, with the on going headache. I think this adventure points out a big difference btwn dealers and specialty shops. Not to say this is an absolute, but dealership mechanics work on a variety of Chrysler products, and heavily modded vehicles are the exception rather than the rule. They can R&R parts and systems but they don't always UNDERSTAND IN DEPTH HOW THE SYSTEMS WORK. I owned a '78 GMC 4wd pkup and the speedo went tits up. A speedo. No big deal, right? A year later I retrieved the errant instrument from the dealer and took it to a local speedo and tach shop. It was back in the truck the next day and was working fine until the day the truck was stolen 15 years later. I think Dynatrac is the right call.:yup:

Firespyer

i dont see how they can sleep at night charging you for a rebuild that they recommended to fix a problem that it didnt fix

Soundly on a pillow filled with dollars, and a waterbed of all our tears.

Good luck w/ Dynatrac
Willing to bet the dealer had Moby right out front when ever it was out of the shop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I'm scheduling in time to have Dynatrac give things a look. I must admit, there is a chance that something in the rear end could be off even though the noise problem only started after getting our new transmission. Having said that, I gave things a look and was frustrated to see that the dealership did in fact take apart my front axle shafts. How do I know? They look practically new - at first glance, I thought they were. Why they would have touched them at all is beyond me - I mean, with the hubs unlocked, NOTHING WOULD BE SPINNING :rolleyes2: Also, as I was driving away yesterday, my ABS, ESP and BAS lights were all on as well. This is typically a speed sensor related problem and can only think that maybe they screwed one up while they were taking apart my front shafts. Last but not least, I have to say that I'm a little pissed that my transmission has actually gotten worse since they worked on it. Now I can't even shift into 1st while in motion. Even if I hold the clutch down for up to 10 seconds, I still cannot get it in 1st if I’m rolling any faster than 1 MPH - all it does is grind. :sigh:

I just left a message with my service advisor and am hoping they will take care off all this and free of any additional charge. We'll see :grayno:

GCM 2

Please tell me the ears on your axle shaft still have the word "Foote" on them? When you said they looked new, I thought those bastards may have switched them out on you!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please tell me the ears on your axle shaft still have the word "Foote" on them? When you said they looked new, I thought those bastards may have switched them out on you!

Oh yeah, I looked and could clearly see they were my old shafts and were still dirty from the last run. The bearing caps on the other hand were shiney and clean and that's what set off alarm bells. Looking at them closely, I couldn't even see the CTM stamp on the main body of the joint like I could before but after closer examination, could see there were on the other side - someone clearly had taken them off and reinstalled them the other way. So long as they did things right, there shouldn't be a problem here but I am a little pissed that they touched them at all.

I sent a polite but firm email to the dealership and they have agreed to address my concerns and free of any additional charge. And, while that's fine and dandy, I'm afraid that I'll loose our Jeep again for another 2 months :naw:

GCM 2

That's good, 300m u-joints and comp chromoly shafts are darn pricey items to replace. You just never know what people will do these days.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

So, I'm scheduling in time to have Dynatrac give things a look. I must admit, there is a chance that something in the rear end could be off even though the noise problem only started after getting our new transmission. Having said that, I gave things a look and was frustrated to see that the dealership did in fact take apart my front axle shafts. How do I know? They look practically new - at first glance, I thought they were. Why they would have touched them at all is beyond me - I mean, with the hubs unlocked, NOTHING WOULD BE SPINNING :rolleyes2: Also, as I was driving away yesterday, my ABS, ESP and BAS lights were all on as well. This is typically a speed sensor related problem and can only think that maybe they screwed one up while they were taking apart my front shafts. Last but not least, I have to say that I'm a little pissed that my transmission has actually gotten worse since they worked on it. Now I can't even shift into 1st while in motion. Even if I hold the clutch down for up to 10 seconds, I still cannot get it in 1st if I’m rolling any faster than 1 MPH - all it does is grind. :sigh:

I just left a message with my service advisor and am hoping they will take care off all this and free of any additional charge. We'll see :grayno:

I would be concerned that they disassembled the dynatrac hubs as well. Any mechanic should know how to work on them, but I would double check that as well

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I'm driving past the dealership right now. Want me to go open a can of whoop ass?

rtguy1

Sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping your cool,:thumb: I would be going ape shit bout now. Dealerships and their service drives make me cringe. I wish you and moby a speedy recovery from this traumatic experience. :standing wave:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Eddie, I think I'm beginning to understand the absence of Moby in your life. The two of you have been together for 6 years and well over 100k miles. It's zen. You are at one, understand each other intimately and no Hemi can change that. It will be difficult to impossible even for RubiCat to break the bond. Ahhmmm...:yup:

TheDuff

Re: Going on 2 Months and Still No Moby

Dealership is now really on my shit list: my sister in law and I just got back from 2 days in moab last week. Her 2012 2dr sahara has barley gotten 3k miles on the odometer since she bought it, 2k of which where the drive to and from moab from San Diego. This was her first real wheeling trip, on the way up there was a clunck that could be felt through the tub anytime we turned right or hit a large bump. This progressed as we made our drive to moab to making the clunk over pretty much any terrain that wasn't smooth, and now to the point it is occurring the entire time the jeep is at free way speed. I checked the torque on all suspension bolts, track bar bolts, ball joints, and lug nuts a few times along the way. The clunk has no effect on steering, so I don't think its in the suspension itself. We wheeled the 2 days we had in moab and drove back, the clunk always there. Today she took it to Carl burger dodge in LA Mesa, where they refused to even look at it concerning the clunck since "the skid plate and cross member have off road damage". She left the jeep there over night to have a really annoying interior squeak checked out. I'm holding my breath that they even fix the squeak without f'in the jeep up some how and I'm going to go with her tomorrow to talk to the service advisor... This is bunch of bullshit, she payed a lot extra to buy a 100k warranty on a jeep she purchased 2 months ago and these punks are gonna try and void that 3k miles in. We didn't run trails that where that hard, she needed to be winched up one obstacle all weekend.... I'll let u know how it goes after I talk to them:mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Dealership is now really on my shit list: my sister in law and I just got back from 2 days in moab last week. Her 2012 2dr sahara has barley gotten 3k miles on the odometer since she bought it, 2k of which where the drive to and from moab from San Diego. This was her first real wheeling trip, on the way up there was a clunck that could be felt through the tub anytime we turned right or hit a large bump. This progressed as we made our drive to moab to making the clunk over pretty much any terrain that wasn't smooth, and now to the point it is occurring the entire time the jeep is at free way speed. I checked the torque on all suspension bolts, track bar bolts, ball joints, and lug nuts a few times along the way. The clunk has no effect on steering, so I don't think its in the suspension itself. We wheeled the 2 days we had in moab and drove back, the clunk always there. Today she took it to Carl burger dodge in LA Mesa, where they refused to even look at it concerning the clunck since "the skid plate and cross member have off road damage". She left the jeep there over night to have a really annoying interior squeak checked out. I'm holding my breath that they even fix the squeak without f'in the jeep up some how and I'm going to go with her tomorrow to talk to the service advisor... This is bunch of bullshit, she payed a lot extra to buy a 100k warranty on a jeep she purchased 2 months ago and these punks are gonna try and void that 3k miles in. We didn't run trails that where that hard, she needed to be winched up one obstacle all weekend.... I'll let u know how it goes after I talk to them:mad:

Unfortunately the only way to get your point across is to lawyer up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

That sucks! I would try another dealer. I don't like Carl Burger. I went there to look at a truck one time (While I was in the process of buying my F150) and had nothing but a poor experience. Good luck to you and her!

Unfortunately the only way to get your point across is to lawyer up.

Not sure what that will do. They can do whatever they want to void a warranty basically. Its the price you pay to play with these rigs.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That sucks! I would try another dealer. I don't like Carl Burger. I went there to look at a truck one time (While I was in the process of buying my F150) and had nothing but a poor experience. Good luck to you and her!

Not sure what that will do. They can do whatever they want to void a warranty basically. Its the price you pay to play with these rigs.

No they can't. Voiding a warranty is illegal. The only thing legal (in all 50 states) is the denial of a claim. They also need to be reminded of that fact, and the fact that a litigation will cost them 50K and in the end, they still may or may not be liable for the repair. The problem is, dealers don't take regular joes seriously unless they come in guns blazing. Im fortunate enough to have my wife, my brother in law, and my mother as my attorneys. Dealers routinely walk all over customers due to the fact that they can overpower them with "knowledge and fact." My wife has a case right now in regards to a used STI (a 25K vehicle) that is now over 75K just on her end. The dealer probably spent close to 100K trying to defend it, and they are going to lose. You would be amazed how seriously dealers take customers with lawyers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No they can't. Voiding a warranty is illegal. The only thing legal (in all 50 states) is the denial of a claim. They also need to be reminded of that fact, and the fact that a litigation will cost them 50K and in the end, they still may or may not be liable for the repair. The problem is, dealers don't take regular joes seriously unless they come in guns blazing. Im fortunate enough to have my wife, my brother in law, and my mother as my attorneys. Dealers routinely walk all over customers due to the fact that they can overpower them with "knowledge and fact." My wife has a case right now in regards to a used STI (a 25K vehicle) that is now over 75K just on her end. The dealer probably spent close to 100K trying to defend it, and they are going to lose. You would be amazed how seriously dealers take customers with lawyers.

:crazyeyes: I'm not going to argue this. They can void the warranty and flag you. Ask Eddie if you don't believe me.

rtguy1

:crazyeyes: I'm not going to argue this. They can void the warranty and flag you. Ask Eddie if you don't believe me.

Yeah Eddie has some experience here. It may not be legal but they definitely try to shaft you and make it hell for you to get anything done. No one wants a lawyer every time you need some simple warranty work.

TheDuff

Re: Going on 2 Months and Still No Moby

I really don't knoe how they could flag her jeep. It only has a bumper winch and 33" duratracs on the stock wheels. Every thing else is stock

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

I am very well versed in the legal aspects of dealer practices as they pertain to warranty claims. The subaru in my wife's lawsuit was flagged by a field engineer that was brought in specially for that reason. That is partially what the lawsuit is about. You can do whatever you want with your Jeep, but if your seat starts squeeking or your seatbelts don't work properly, they are still under warranty. The only thing that can be denied is the claim you put in. Your control arms snap, they can deny your claim to replace the control arm. The claims can only be denied one at a time. A dealer/manufacturer cannot blanket "void the warranty." There is no such thing as it is illegal to do so. A flagged vehicle simply makes the dealer aware of the situation, and they handle the claim with a much closer inspection. If I turned a brand new Jeep into Moby (like Rubicat), no dealer can simply say "you modified it, your warranty is gone." Rubicat didn't have his heated seats modified, his power mirrors changed, etc. Again, only an individual claim can be denied, never a warranty. BTW, if you have a REALLY good lawyer, you can even sue for false advertising. Chrysler routinely showcases their vehicles offroad, with massive tires, bumpers, axles, racks, etc etc etc. This has already been done (and won) by owners for the Nissan GTR and the Mitsubishi Evo.

P.S. A dealer doesn't have the authority to flag a vehicle. It must be flagged by a representative of the manufacturer (ie a field engineer).

Last edited:
Top Bottom