RubiCAT on STEROIDS - 40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome. But my prediction is that you'll end up liking them so much that eventually a pr60 finds its way under the front so you can hammer down! No matter how awesome a jeep gets, the mods never stop. 

Looks like the whole family is growing up now. Maybe the pr44 and 37s will squeeze under plan c? You know- since they'll just be sitting there.. 

LOL!! While I would love to get a PR60 under Rubicat, I really don't want to run 37's on our XJ. :D

Looks great!

So kind of a newb question for you Eddie, if the Nittos are 15.5 wide (ish) on RubiCat, and the Toyos are 13.5 (ish) on Moby, both running the same rear tire carrier (i've yet to see one personally) how is the fitment from one to the other for carrying the spare? Since I haven't seen the EVO carrier in person I can't fully understand how the assembly is held in and how it accommodates wider tires. Any enlightenment would be great, thanks.

This is actually a really good question being that the EVO tire carrier is actually NOT made for a tire this wide as a default. We had to have the t-bar on Moby's tire carrier custom made to accommodate the 15.50 wide tire. Fortunately, I was able to just swap out the t-bars between our 2 Jeeps to make it work.

Wow, those do look really nice on Rubicat. What are the width of those wheels?

The wheels are 20x10 with 3.5" of back spacing.

Dana 30???

LOL!! Yeah, Dana 30 :crazyeyes:

Those look really cool! So did you have to adjust the coils to give you a bit more Room?

I haven't adjusted anything as of yet but will have to bump up the height a bit or do a LOT of trimming just like we had to on Moby back when he was running this setup.

I'm really interested to see what this pr44 can handle with someone who knows how to drive. Clean work by the way, looks really good.

LOL!! Don't kid yourself, these aren't just 40's, they are crazy HUGE 40x15.50's that weigh almost 200 lbs. a piece and on wheels that have very little back spacing. Everything about this setup is working against the ProRock 44. Slow rock crawling will most likely take out a u-joint and or shaft and being that we're running 5.38's, will very likely take out the ring and pinion if we lock up the front end. High speed driving will most likely trash the ball joints, unit bearing and maybe even bend the axle housing. Truth be told, this setup was even hard on my ProRock 60. A more reasonable 40x13.50 would be a much better fit and one that I wouldn't mind trying some day.

Congrats looks great....did you do them in one coat or several? Thinking of doing the same to my pintlers when i change out the stupid soft "button head" allens that are rounding out with each retorque........:mad:

I used a 2 part paint and laid down about 3 coats before finishing it up with a clear coat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome, I really like the body colored rings. Makes it all come together.

What make fenders do you plan on running to cover the tires and eliminate the vintage roller skate looks???

LOL!! Sorry, I'm not a big fan of the flying nun hat for fenders.

The-Flying-Nun-the-flying-nun-28014414-340-248.gif

Also, I would most likely tear them off on the trail. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping the ones I have now on :crazyeyes:

Looks amazing!!! Love it! If I had the $$$$$ I'd buy the same wheels and tires today. :rock:

But I'm curious why you say they weren't practical for Moby. (Aside from them not fitting the bolt pattern.)

While they look outstanding, these wheels and tires are just way too big, way too wide and way too heavy for some of the trails we like to run. They are also not the greatest when it comes to high speeds in the desert.

Ive always looked to RubiCat as what I would like to do to my JK once its paid off, with 37s as big as i wanted to go with tires. I guess my only question would be how do the 40s handle around town and on the highway vs the 37s for daily driving?

oh and I was curious what a before and after would look like so I grabbed one of your RubiCat pics with the 37s and I do like how the 40s look. That is one of the best looking JKs I've seen.

Around town and on the highway, a set of 40's will handle just fine so long as you have your Jeep built up for them. Maneuvering around a tight parking lot can be very difficult if not impossible without a ram assist. That said, 40x15.50's like these will make things a bit tougher.

Pyro1415

Yeah they are massive I would be more than happy with 40x13.5, I'm really surprised these never found their way onto Moby. None the less if the pr can hold up to even some abuse that you would give I'll give it props.

LOL!! Don't kid yourself, these aren't just 40's, they are crazy HUGE 40x15.50's that weigh almost 200 lbs. a piece and on wheels that have very little back spacing. Everything about this setup is working against the ProRock 44. Slow rock crawling will most likely take out a u-joint and or shaft and being that we're running 5.38's, will very likely take out the ring and pinion if we lock up the front end. High speed driving will most likely trash the ball joints, unit bearing and maybe even bend the axle housing. Truth be told, this setup was even hard on my ProRock 60. A more reasonable 40x13.50 would be a much better fit and one that I wouldn't mind trying some day.

I used a 2 part paint and laid down about 3 coats before finishing it up with a clear coat.[/QUOTE]

Pyro1415

Do you know how to read? It's in the first post.

Nope... But practical isn't fun and looking at all the jeeps plus mods honestly new beadlocks in the right bolt pattern doesn't seem that expensive.... I personally would run wheel adapters but I'm a cheap @$$.

JAGS

Hooked
Nope... But practical isn't fun and looking at all the jeeps plus mods honestly new beadlocks in the right bolt pattern doesn't seem that expensive.... I personally would run wheel adapters but I'm a cheap @$$.

Run an adapter from 8 lug to a 5.5 just to keep the spyderlock wheels? WTF?? With the power and torque behind the LS, even I know that's not the smartest thing.

StrizzyChris

What are you talking about?! ???

Spudcannons

Looks awesome! Did you spray the ATX slab bolt tops with something to keep them from rusting? I noticed the threads were a bit rusty but the heads were pristine.

Top Bottom