Sold on Long Arms...until I talked to ORE

So all along I had been planning on long arms, then EVO coilovers and had been banking money for this major overhaul. Finally saved enough money to do 1 of the 2, so I called EVO to see what their recommendation was to do first. Drew told me that with 37" tires, long arms would be pointless...maybe JUST making highway driving a little more smooth, but that's it. I told him I already have adjustable front lowers and a je reel driveshaft up front, and he confirmed that all I needed was the coilovers for a really great ride off and on-road. That is a huge sigh of relief hearing it straight from them.

Looks like I'll be taking that money and going straight to PSC hydro-assist baby!

I'm looking to upgrade to 37s as well, looks like a will only need a driveshaft too, awesome haha

Yep, front driveshaft is definitely needed for 4 doors. And make sure you correct your steering - drag link flip kit if you haven't done so already. Also, rear track bar relocation bracket is a good easy mod as well.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
As always, Drew with ORE is good people. He is first to point out flaws in our logic, even it is means saving you money.

As for the PSC Steering Assist, you will LOVE it. I cannot imagine what it must be like to gorilla handle the steering wheel while wheeling with 37 inch tires without hydro assist.

As always, Drew with ORE is good people. He is first to point out flaws in our logic, even it is means saving you money.

As for the PSC Steering Assist, you will LOVE it. I cannot imagine what it must be like to gorilla handle the steering wheel while wheeling with 37 inch tires without hydro assist.

Yea, I can't wait for PSC. I was on an all granite offroad park about a month ago and had to pull so many 3-pt turns, it wasn't funny. That weekend made it clear that PSC was in my future lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When would you need or want long arms?

"Need"? Maybe never if you're okay with your suspension geometry being off. When you might "want" them is when you have enough lift that your suspension geometry could benefit from a correction. Typically, that would be at about 4" of lift for most people. That being said, long arms will NOT give you more flex or perform better off road. What they will do is give you a better ride on pavement or if you like to bomb through the desert.

When would you need or want long arms?

I think you could make the argument that long arms is setting your jeep up to have the "best ride possible". However, installing coilovers with 37's, adjustable front lowers, and steering correction components, will get the job done just fine. That's how I think about this, others might think differently of course.

JKHunter817

Yep, front driveshaft is definitely needed for 4 doors. And make sure you correct your steering - drag link flip kit if you haven't done so already. Also, rear track bar relocation bracket is a good easy mod as well.

I have a 3.5" lift adjustable track bar, rear bracket, all new shocks, tie rods, ball joints, and drag link but didn't get the flip kit. I learned about it after the fact haha [emoji21]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you could make the argument that long arms is setting your jeep up to have the "best ride possible". However, installing coilovers with 37's, adjustable front lowers, and steering correction components, will get the job done just fine. That's how I think about this, others might think differently of course.

Yup. Absolutely NO "need" for long arms. You can totally run coil overs, run 37's and have a great ride with factory length arms.

"Need"? Maybe never if you're okay with your suspension geometry being off. When you might "want" them is when you have enough lift that your suspension geometry could benefit from a correction. Typically, that would be at about 4" of lift for most people. That being said, long arms will NOT give you more flex or perform better off road. What they will do is give you a better ride on pavement or if you like to bomb through the desert.

Okay, so I plan on having my coilovers set to 4.5". With a 4 door, 37's, drag link flip, rear track bar bracket, front adj lca's, and front aftermarket DS i have already, what else would be needed to dial in the suspension geometry? I no longer am thinking long-arms, since it sounds like i don't "need" them. But are there any other components I should really think about adding along with the coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so I plan on having my coilovers set to 4.5". With a 4 door, 37's, drag link flip, rear track bar bracket, front adj lca's, and front aftermarket DS i have already, what else would be needed to dial in the suspension geometry? I no longer am thinking long-arms, since it sounds like i don't "need" them. But are there any other components I should really think about adding along with the coilovers?

For me personally, 4.5" is A LOT OF LIFT and if it were me running that much lift, I'd want long arms mainly because I rack up a lot of miles and like driving hard and fast across the desert. Of course, on Rubicat, I'm only running about 3.5" of lift and pushing 37's.

Ddays

Hooked
Looks like I'll be taking that money and going straight to PSC hydro-assist baby!

Hydro assist is the cat's ass. One finger steering at 70mph, no kickback or shimmy. Nevada's right - you won't believe the difference.

Mike_Jk - why so much lift for 37's? At 4.5" you could run 40's..
Haha Eddie beat me to it...

For me personally, 4.5" is A LOT OF LIFT and if it were me running that much lift, I'd want long arms mainly because I rack up a lot of miles and like driving hard and fast across the desert. Of course, on Rubicat, I'm only running about 3.5" of lift and pushing 37's.

Rubicat is only at 3.5" of lift? He looks much higher! Okay, maybe 4.5" is too much. I'll have to think about this, maybe I'll settle in closer to 4" and 37's. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rubicat is only at 3.5" of lift? He looks much higher! Okay, maybe 4.5" is too much. I'll have to think about this, maybe I'll settle in closer to 4" and 37's. :thinking:

Hell, Moby is running 3.5" of lift and pushing 40's. Granted, it took a lot of trimming to do it and I still get a little rubbing in the rear but for me, a lower stance is optimal.

Hydro assist is the cat's ass. One finger steering at 70mph, no kickback or shimmy. Nevada's right - you won't believe the difference.

Mike_Jk - why so much lift for 37's? At 4.5" you could run 40's..
Haha Eddie beat me to it...

Yea, super stoked about PSC...glad that they'll be here sooner than I had originally anticipated!

I was thinking 4.5" because I want the belly clearance. My jk is really heavy and my 3.5" RK springs right now are not sitting truly at 3.5"...and I bottom out a good amount on larger trail obstacles. I added the artec full body skid system - it's a beast, but it's heavy as SH@#!

I guess another question I have with coilovers, and forgive me if this is a silly question...but do they sag much with heavy rigs? Or will 3.5-4" (still deciding) sit truly at that amount?

Top Bottom