Sold on Long Arms...until I talked to ORE

You need to remember tho that the arms on a JK are considered more of a mid arm than a short arm. That's why when you see arms marketed as mid arms it's more of a gimmick than anything.

^^ I was under the impression that TJ's benefitted more with a long arm kit than the JK's because of this.

I am far from an expert, so will not argue. I am pretty sure that Drew can advise on what suspension jacking forces are. A lot of good info around but Wikipedia helps too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle)#Jacking_forces

As I stated, long arms will provide you more wheel travel and articulation off-road with the proper geometry. If you do not care about proper geometry on or off road, your travel will be limited only by your shock length (or limit straps), or heck your brake lines ;) Example, same length shocks, on a short and long arm, however notice that the travel curve will be impacted. I.e. from Hammerhead's post:

long-arm-vs-short-arm-lift-kit.jpg

source http://www.4wd.com/jeep-lift-kits/long-vs-short-arm.aspx

I am not saying that a long or short arm is needed or will benefit everyone, specially on a JK. I myself am debating what to do next suspension wise, and will probably stick to my current setup when doing my tons, as the ride quality and travel has been great for my daily driving and wheeling style.

This is true but as Eddie said, your travel is limited by your shock length. Are you gaining enough in the limited arc the arms are moving to really make that much of a difference?

I think its mainly about how the longer arm is smoother with the movement and in fast, hard cycles their will be more vertical gravity involved. On a shorter arm or mid arm there will be more horizontal gravity which would be absorbed by the rear end of the arm bracket and the frame itself which gives the slightly harder ride. If all of this is true a long arm setup will go over an obstacle with less force (or pedal) needed than a short arm setup.

I am far from an expert, so will not argue. I am pretty sure that Drew can advise on what suspension jacking forces are. A lot of good info around but Wikipedia helps too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle)#Jacking_forces

As I stated, long arms will provide you more wheel travel and articulation off-road with the proper geometry. If you do not care about proper geometry on or off road, your travel will be limited only by your shock length (or limit straps), or heck your brake lines ;) Example, same length shocks, on a short and long arm, however notice that the travel curve will be impacted. I.e. from Hammerhead's post:

long-arm-vs-short-arm-lift-kit.jpg

source http://www.4wd.com/jeep-lift-kits/long-vs-short-arm.aspx

I am not saying that a long or short arm is needed or will benefit everyone, specially on a JK. I myself am debating what to do next suspension wise, and will probably stick to my current setup when doing my tons, as the ride quality and travel has been great for my daily driving and wheeling style.

Thanks for the info. Definitely things to think about for the future...right now, like you, I'll stick with my stock arms and adj front lowers on my JK and do coilovers. But I do understand that long arms (on any vehicle) is the ultimate ride...just not sure I need that for what I'll be doing. Although I do have plans on applying to future JKX's, so maybe long arms later :rock:

As I stated, long arms will provide you more wheel travel and articulation off-road with the proper geometry.

Ummm, you install long arms to correct your geometry after installing a tall enough lift or as you put it, to give you "proper geometry". The length of your shocks are the ultimate limiting factor of wheel travel/articulation.

I've heard some really stupid shit today( I work in the oilfield, if that tells you anything)

This tops it, congrats.

Ummm, you install long arms to correct your geometry after installing a tall enough lift or as you put it, to give you "proper geometry". The length of your shocks are the ultimate limiting factor of wheel travel/articulation.

His long arms are special and they give his jeep and shocks magical travel. Each long arm kit comes with a bag of magical travel fairy dust. Sprinkle sprinkle.

His long arms are special and they give his jeep and shocks magical travel. Each long arm kit comes with a bag of magical travel fairy dust. Sprinkle sprinkle.

I ultimately want my jeep to fly...literally seek flight and hover. Is this the way, the fairy dust? Does EVO make some? LOL

Granite_head - Do you live in the Montrose area?

Lol, I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

No sir, I live in downtown Austin with my wife (a naturally occurring female) and newborn son. I do however have a step brother that last I heard lives in that area. We don't associate much since we don't have much in common, if you know what I mean.

Lol, I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

No sir, I live in downtown Austin with my wife (a naturally occurring female) and newborn son. I do however have a step brother that last I heard lives in that area. We don't associate much since we don't have much in common, if you know what I mean.

LOL. I now see what you are referring to, and makes much more sense in context with the fairy dust comment. My wife and I live in rice military in houston, but we frequent the montrose area for the food and bars. "Naturally occurring female" HAHA, that was good man.

Yup. Absolutely NO "need" for long arms. You can totally run coil overs, run 37's and have a great ride with factory length arms.

Hmmm...ORE changed out /installed just the front lower arms on my Evo coils on 37s. Might even come with the kit.

Thought it was for correction to the geometry front end.

Drew is Great...No Bullshit!!!!!! Can't for the life of me understand why I'm constantly try to justify calling ORE to make an appointment for more mods.

Top Bottom