Taking the Plunge!

Astroman

With the 3.6 pulled, it was time to prep the frame and burn in the new motor mounts:

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

Had an interesting discovery on the driver's side coilover bucket:

IMG_4542.jpg

Seems the suspension installer decided to torch a hole in the back of the shock tower to clear the steering pump :grayno: Granted, the PSC system (phase II) was added after the suspension work done during phase I But sheesh :Disappointed:
Needless to say, given the reputation of the shop, I was a bit shocked!

Fortunately David, the owner of DCD Customs would not let the Jeep leave his shop in this condition and set about the task of fixing the issue:

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

There was some additional work to clean up from the previous installer, such as removing some fairly heavy rust from welded areas that were not re-painted. Of course all this set the schedule back a bit, but it certainly worth it to make things right :thumb:

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 334200

Seems the suspension installer decided to torch a hole in the back of the shock tower to clear the steering pump :grayno: Granted, the PSC system (phase II) was added after the suspension work done during phase I But sheesh :Disappointed:

Wow. Unbelievably shoddy work. Thankfully it’s fixed now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Fortunately David, the owner of DCD Customs would not let the Jeep leave his shop in this condition and set about the task of fixing the issue:

LOL - call me crazy but it's not like you even knew it was there. Sure, it's not pretty but it's not like the structural integrity was compromised and failing. Without pulling your tub and motor, I don't know how DCD custom would have been able to do a better job of providing clearance for your PSC. Sure, it could be done but I doubt for what you paid.

And, before you or anyone gets the funny idea that I'm trying to defend anyone, allow me to say what you weren't willing to - your suspension installer was Off Road Evolution.

Either way, I'm glad to see your Jeep is coming together and I look forward to seeing it out on the trail. :thumb:

Wow. Unbelievably shoddy work. Thankfully it’s fixed now.

Would love to know exactly how you would have done things better with the body and motor still in place. I've given it a lot of thought and I'm not even sure how I would have made that hole. :idontknow:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Would love to know exactly how you would have done things better with the body and motor still in place. I've given it a lot of thought and I'm not even sure how I would have made that hole. :idontknow:

I’m not sure because I can’t tell from the photo exactly where this is on the Jeep and what access to the area is available. I also don’t know what tools and fabrication skills a professional would have that I don’t. It just seems half assed to me to cut structure like that to gain clearance, particularly without telling the customer about it. If that’s the only solution at reasonable cost, so be it, but a guy spending probably $10k or more for parts and labor for a project like this might like to be informed and maybe consider a more elegant solution (albeit at additional cost).

BTW, I’m not slamming ORE at all. I didn’t know that’s where this work was done until you said it. I’ve never done anything with ORE and had no opinion one way or the other about the quality of their work.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not sure because I can’t tell from the photo exactly where this is on the Jeep and what access to the area is available. I also don’t know what tools and fabrication skills a professional would have that I don’t. It just seems half assed to me to cut structure like that to gain clearance, particularly without telling the customer about it. If that’s the only solution at reasonable cost, so be it, but a guy spending probably $10k or more for parts and labor for a project like this might like to be informed and maybe consider a more elegant solution (albeit at additional cost).

BTW, I’m not slamming ORE at all. I didn’t know that’s where this work was done until you said it. I’ve never done anything with ORE and have no opinion one way or the other about the quality of their work.

LOL - never said you were slamming ORE and like I said, I'm not trying to defend them.

The location of this tower is the frame rail right behind the steering box and above the motor mount. What sits above it is the washer reservoir and PCM. While you could remove most of that, it'd still be difficult to cut and weld anything up in that area with the engine still in place. How do I know, because I helped do my motor swap. As far as $10k goes, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Jim said this was AFTER getting his suspension system installed and because he decided to have a PSC installed. Maybe I'm wrong about all this but I seriously doubt that would have cost $10k. But, to your point, it probably would have been a good idea for ORE to notify him of what would be involved to make the PSC install possible. At least he would have been aware of what was needed and could have just kept things stock or taken his Jeep to DCD and have them do it.

With that said, if you're gonna say something looks half ass, I think you should be obligate to say how you would do things better. But of cousre, that's just me. :)

fiend

Caught the Bug
As far as $10k goes, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Jim said this was AFTER getting his suspension system installed and because he decided to have a PSC installed. Maybe I'm wrong about all this but I seriously doubt that would have cost $10k.

Jim said the “suspension installer” made the cut. I interpreted this to mean while the suspension was being installed. I know what kit he has, and I think it’s safe to assume the kit and installation labor cost about $10k. Perhaps I misunderstood his post.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jim said the “suspension installer” made the cut. I interpreted this to mean while the suspension was being installed. I know what kit he has, and I think it’s safe to assume the kit and installation labor cost about $10k. Perhaps I misunderstood his post.

LOL - try not to interpret anything and try reading it again. He specifically said, and I quote, "the PSC system (phase II) was added AFTER the suspension work". The "suspension installer" was ORE and they were ALSO the ones who installed the PSC AFTER the fact - you know, as a part of "phase II".

Exodus 4x4

Not on Moby but then, we're still running a factory Delphi box. But, I'm sure if it were up to Mel alone, it would be.

I’ve only installed a few DTD’s and so far they’ve all needed it. Oddly enough they’ve never needed the clearance in the same exact spot so maybe that’s why Andrew leaves it alone. Like you said though, it’s not taking away any integrity from the suspension.

Astroman

Well I must say, coming back from lunch I didn't expect to see this thread take the trajectory it did. It reminds of the expression from my Air Force days of "calling in an airstrike on your own position." -- LOL!

My intent was never to throw ORE under the bus, in fact my avoidance of identifying them was because I have always been and remain a fan of Mel and his crew -- good people!

Eddie's right, as an engineer I can see that the hole is not in a location that significantly compromises structural integrity given how forces react in that area -- although perhaps corrosion after some time may become an issue. True -- I never knew it was there and I enjoyed the awesome performance of the vehicle for many trouble-free trail miles. BUT I would have appreciated being told -- I'm sure I would have been fine with it had the situation been explained to me.

In Phase II, along with the tons, 40's and PSC ram assist, etc., the mechanic who did the installation also cut out the bottom of my airbox to clearance the PSC reservoir inlet/outlet hoses -- without letting me know. That effectively defeated my snorkel -- which could have ended badly on a trail like Fordyce on a high-flow day. When I told Mel about it, he immediately took care of the situation -- replaced the airbox and re-routed the PSC hoses. I don't blame ORE for the actions of an individual. While we would prefer every mechanic give his/her personal warranty on their workmanship, that's not the real world. Shit happens now and again.

My connection to DCD for the Hemi swap was through a friend in the industry and got a great deal with the AMW4x4 conversion package, so not in any way a dis on ORE. I'll certainly be going back to ORE again when it comes time to put an Enforcer suspension on my future JT :rock:

Brute

Hooked
Well I must say, coming back from lunch I didn't expect to see this thread take the trajectory it did. It reminds of the expression from my Air Force days of "calling in an airstrike on your own position." -- LOL!

My intent was never to throw ORE under the bus, in fact my avoidance of identifying them was because I have always been and remain a fan of Mel and his crew -- good people!

Eddie's right, as an engineer I can see that the hole is not in a location that significantly compromises structural integrity given how forces react in that area -- although perhaps corrosion after some time may become an issue. True -- I never knew it was there and I enjoyed the awesome performance of the vehicle for many trouble-free trail miles. BUT I would have appreciated being told -- I'm sure I would have been fine with it had the situation been explained to me.

In Phase II, along with the tons, 40's and PSC ram assist, etc., the mechanic who did the installation also cut out the bottom of my airbox to clearance the PSC reservoir inlet/outlet hoses -- without letting me know. That effectively defeated my snorkel -- which could have ended badly on a trail like Fordyce on a high-flow day. When I told Mel about it, he immediately took care of the situation -- replaced the airbox and re-routed the PSC hoses. I don't blame ORE for the actions of an individual. While we would prefer every mechanic give his/her personal warranty on their workmanship, that's not the real world. Shit happens now and again.

My connection to DCD for the Hemi swap was through a friend in the industry and got a great deal with the AMW4x4 conversion package, so not in any way a dis on ORE. I'll certainly be going back to ORE again when it comes time to put an Enforcer suspension on my future JT :rock:

Soooo...you’re getting a Jeep truck, are you?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve only installed a few DTD’s and so far they’ve all needed it. Oddly enough they’ve never needed the clearance in the same exact spot so maybe that’s why Andrew leaves it alone. Like you said though, it’s not taking away any integrity from the suspension.

That's interesting. Have you done any installs with an old style Delphi box?

LOL - it's all good and I wouldn't take it that way. I'm actually embarrassed to say that I couldn't remember who did your install but being that you made such a cryptic reference, it left me wanting to know WHO that was. I literally had to go digging and asking around to find out.

That being said, it would have bothered me as well to have something done and me not know about it and my only point for saying anything at was that I couldn't see how DCD custom could have done a better job without removing the tub and engine.

But, moving on, I look forward to seeing your Jeep killing it on the trail :)

Top Bottom