Trump

benatc1

Hooked
In a lot of ways, I kind of wish we could get the same kind of representation within our own state. Clark County (Las Vegas) is where 70% of Nevada's population resides and unfortunately, they end up dictating policy for the rest of us.

agreed, I noticed that this year (as its my first election living in Nevada) but things like this are clearly dominated by down south and i see that everyday at work too. Have never lived in Vegas- only visited- but Northern Nevada is a very different place in many ways.

In a lot of ways, I kind of wish we could get the same kind of representation within our own state. Clark County (Las Vegas) is where 70% of Nevada's population resides and unfortunately, they end up dictating policy for the rest of us.

yes, it's really too bad, that on a state basis, there isn't the same concept of an electoral college. I know some try to remedy that in other ways.

This actually brings up an interesting point. I hear so many call our laws, land, the United States a Democracy... It's not, it's actually a Republic.

The difference, in a Democracy, the individual citizens would vote for the laws. In a republic, we have elected representatives that do so. This is also akin to the electoral college from the stand point, that a Democracy would vote the will of the largest population areas stronger than the rest of the country, but in a republic, we get to elect representatives, who are *supposed* to represent our views, etc and if they don't we can kick their butts out of office in the next election... :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
agreed, I noticed that this year (as its my first election living in Nevada) but things like this are clearly dominated by down south and i see that everyday at work too. Have never lived in Vegas- only visited- but Northern Nevada is a very different place in many ways.

Cindy's folks live down in Henderson so unfortunately, we're down that way a lot... way more than I'd prefer. Vegas as a whole is just an extension of Southern California and the maps posted above is proof of it. I've traveled all across our state and the people down there and their way of thinking is nowhere close to what the rest of the state thinks.

yes, it's really too bad, that on a state basis, there isn't the same concept of an electoral college. I know some try to remedy that in other ways.

This actually brings up an interesting point. I hear so many call our laws, land, the United States a Democracy... It's not, it's actually a Republic.

The difference, in a Democracy, the individual citizens would vote for the laws. In a republic, we have elected representatives that do so. This is also akin to the electoral college from the stand point, that a Democracy would vote the will of the largest population areas stronger than the rest of the country, but in a republic, we get to elect representatives, who are *supposed* to represent our views, etc and if they don't we can kick their butts out of office in the next election... :)

Very true and well said. What's frustrating to me are the ballot measures. There were 4 main ones for us in Nevada this time around and while pretty much every county in the state voted one way, just one voted the other. Being that they are where a bulk of our population resides, they got to determine for the rest of us what passes and what doesn't. Of course, they also determined who our new senator is.

WJCO

Meme King
..... I hear so many call our laws, land, the United States a Democracy... It's not, it's actually a Republic.......

Bingo. I love it when people bring this up. We are not a Democracy.

As someone once said "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. "

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Interestingly enough most of the people that voted for her did so not based on anything that should have mattered but on her being a female. I saw one post on fB starting that most voters for trump had not Emmet through college and that most of Hillary's had some degree of higher education. Made the poster made when I pointed out how that only shows how little people actually learn in the college and universities. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think you made a valid point here, that her gender made an impact on voters. You can see that from the sheer demographic numbers. Most men voted Trump regardless of party. To take it a step further, I believe that voters also use the outgoing president against the candidates of the same party. George W. Bush being a good example, he damaged a lot of respect for the Republican party and made it easier for Pres. Obama to get voted in.

To your point about college educated people leaning towards Hillary, it has less to do with what they learned at college but rather who they met. For some, dare I say most, people it's the first time being in close quarters and forming connections with people who aren't like them. Especially if you're from a small town, chances are you have a lot in common with the other people there. You may not have met someone born from outside this country or prays to a god you don't. You may meet people who have different ideas about love than you do. This is all part of your education. We (America) are a melting pot of diversity, but sometimes we don't see that face to face. The important part to realize is that there are other people who are different from you and that's ok. Live and let live.

Once you learn to embrace people for the way they are, even if you disagree personally how they choose to live their life, you can see why they side with a candidate who believes the same.

Speaking of all of this, did you see where as of a few minutes ago CNN is now projecting that Trump will win the popular vote. While he's behind at the moment, there is still 7% of 140M yet to be tallied :)...

We HAVE to have the Electoral College.I do think we need to change they way the votes are awarded though. Some states, like Maine, already divide the votes. Votes are allocated based on the number of congressmen and senators each state has. They should be divided on congressional district with the 2 based on senators being decided by popular vote with in the state. That way the Red areas in a Blue state like California and the Blue areas in a Red state like Texas are really represented. I think this would be more in line with what the founders were really going for.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I think you made a valid point here, that her gender made an impact on voters. You can see that from the sheer demographic numbers. Most men voted Trump regardless of party. To take it a step further, I believe that voters also use the outgoing president against the candidates of the same party. George W. Bush being a good example, he damaged a lot of respect for the Republican party and made it easier for Pres. Obama to get voted in.

To your point about college educated people leaning towards Hillary, it has less to do with what they learned at college but rather who they met. For some, dare I say most, people it's the first time being in close quarters and forming connections with people who aren't like them. Especially if you're from a small town, chances are you have a lot in common with the other people there. You may not have met someone born from outside this country or prays to a god you don't. You may meet people who have different ideas about love than you do. This is all part of your education. We (America) are a melting pot of diversity, but sometimes we don't see that face to face. The important part to realize is that there are other people who are different from you and that's ok. Live and let live.

Once you learn to embrace people for the way they are, even if you disagree personally how they choose to live their life, you can see why they side with a candidate who believes the same.

This is the most rational and well said post on here.

Kilroy

Sadly most Americans these days do not seem to know the constitution. Yes the vote was held and trump won the vote, but the real vote doesn't happen until December.
This little article will explain.

BY JOSEPH E. USCINSKI
@joeuscinski

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
Despite the fact that we are going to the polls to cast our ballots, we won’t actually be voting for Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.

We instead will be voting for “electors” who will cast the actual ballots for president. Those ballots won’t even be counted until December. That is when the “real” presidential election takes place.

A curious artifact of our Constitution, the presidential election is actually decided by 538 electors who make up the Electoral College. Some people want to amend the Constitution to get eliminate the Electoral College; they instead want the presidency to be decided by a straight-up popular vote. Their argument is that a popular vote by its very nature ensures that the candidate with the most votes wins. There have been instances in history where a president ascends to the White House by winning the Electoral College vote, but not the popular vote (George W. Bush won this way in 2000). Also, it is argued, the Electoral College creates many areas of the country that are non-competitive, and therefore the votes of people in the minority don’t count for much (Republican voters in deep-blue Massachusetts, for example, have little reason to cast a ballot for president).

Despite these arguments — which are no doubt important — I predict that many Americans will wake up Wednesday morning and be grateful for it. Here;s why:

First, the Electoral College makes election rigging difficult. If the nation elected its president with just a popular vote, rigging could take place anywhere in the country. And because of that, schemes would be hard to detect. Dividing our national presidential election into 50 smaller elections frustrates the schemes of would-be cheaters and let’s officials know where to concentrate their efforts on ensuring accuracy.

Second, the Electoral College provides decisive victories. There will be about 130 million votes cast this year. Numbers this large are hard for most people to comprehend, and the differences between the two major candidates can seem negligible.

In 2012, the difference between President Obama and Mitt Romney’s vote totals was only about 5 million votes out of 127 million cast. Some elections are much closer, and such small margins can seem unclear and inconclusive. The Electoral College tends to make victories appear clear and margins distinct. In 2012, despite the 4 percent margin in the popular vote, the Electoral College vote was a decisive 332- to 206.

Such numbers are easy to interpret and provide newly elected presidents with the legitimacy they need to govern. This year, Donald Trump has flirted with the idea of not conceding the election to Hillary Clinton, because according to him, “It’s rigged.” If the current opinion polls stay true, Hillary Clinton likely will win. Her victory in the Electoral College, which is currently expected to be large, will make any claims of “rigging” look ludicrous.

Third, the Electoral College isolates problems — if there are any — to specific states. If there is to be a question about the sanctity or accuracy of the vote count, the Electoral College effectively isolates those questions to specific states. In 2000, when there were questions about the outcome, the subsequent litigation and recount were isolated to a few counties in one state (Florida).

In 2004, there were questions about the close outcome, but again, those questions were isolated to Ohio. Imagine if the recount in 2000 were to take place in every precinct in every state across the country. There would be widespread and endless challenges, litigation and chaos. The Electoral College prevents this.

American elections are messy business. There are primaries, caucuses, general elections and electors. There is nothing simple about our system. But the Electoral College, despite its faults, makes the business of electing a president much less messy. And it just may be a lifesaver this year.

This is news to the young or the people that voted the other way[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Here's a good video that makes the concept simple to understand and why it's a good system. Most of the points have been laid out here already. My sister-in-law was asking about this yesterday so I found it for her.

https://youtu.be/V6s7jB6-GoU

The point that Hillary won (maybe?) the popular vote but lost the election is precisely why we need to keep this system. It gives the smaller states a much bigger part of who wins elections.

Someone pointed out earlier that implementing a similar system inside the states would be helpful. Totally agree. Look at California on the map that was posted. Los Angeles and San Francisco basically decide for the whole state. Our state I'd do screwed up now, the Democrats implemented a voting system that guaranteed no Republican would even be given a chance to be elected to the US Senate. We had two choices. Both Democrats.

I really need to move. How's the wheeling in Tennessee? [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Here's a good video that makes the concept simple to understand and why it's a good system. Most of the points have been laid out here already. My sister-in-law was asking about this yesterday so I found it for her.

https://youtu.be/V6s7jB6-GoU

The point that Hillary won (maybe?) the popular vote but lost the election is precisely why we need to keep this system. It gives the smaller states a much bigger part of who wins elections.

Someone pointed out earlier that implementing a similar system inside the states would be helpful. Totally agree. Look at California on the map that was posted. Los Angeles and San Francisco basically decide for the whole state. Our state I'd do screwed up now, the Democrats implemented a voting system that guaranteed no Republican would even be given a chance to be elected to the US Senate. We had two choices. Both Democrats.

I really need to move. How's the wheeling in Tennessee? [emoji41]

We have wind rock wich is pretty damn nice actually lol

BaddestCross

Was in Memphis a couple years ago for a wedding. Spent a few days exploring the area and fell in love with your state. We're considering taking a trip out to the Nashville area this spring.

MOOK

Was in Memphis a couple years ago for a wedding. Spent a few days exploring the area and fell in love with your state. We're considering taking a trip out to the Nashville area this spring.

I live as far east TN as you can in the Tri Cities. Most know of Bristol from Bristol Motor Speedway. My area is nothing special and in all honesty i want out. Im about an hour an half from Knoxville which is a better area but i wouldnt live in either. Now Nashville... is where its at when your talking TN. Id move there in a heart beat if work was an option for me there. Especially in the Franklin area. If you enjoyed Memphis then Nashville should be a blast! I cant speak for wheeling in Nashville, dont know of any but im sure there is

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I look forward to getting back out there and exploring some more! I really want to spend some time in the Smoky Mountains. And I've got to go visit my friend Jack down in Lynchburg. [emoji41]

This year my wife and I went to Georgia. Spent a couple days in Atlanta and a few more in Savannah. Right now we're split between the two. I told her Savannah isn't too far of a drive, so we could have the best of both worlds. [emoji106]

Modit

I've traveled all across our state and the people down there and their way of thinking is nowhere close to what the rest of the state thinks.

Very true and well said. What's frustrating to me are the ballot measures. There were 4 main ones for us in Nevada this time around and while pretty much every county in the state voted one way, just one voted the other. Being that they are where a bulk of our population resides, they got to determine for the rest of us what passes and what doesn't. Of course, they also determined who our new senator is.
As one who lives in Las Vegas I can't agree more. The Californians and their skewed sensibilities have taken over this state by taking over this town.

I grew up in rural areas of the southeast and I look forward to the day when I can afford to retire to a place where rural values are respected.

I don't vote along any party lines. I vote for the person I think represents my values the closest.
I couldn't vote for Trump because of many things he said during his campaign. I couldn't vote for Clinton because of the things she has done and the fact that she is not qualified to hold a top secret clearance.
People say I threw my vote away but I say if more people voted using their conscience then things might be better.
I think the one redeeming quality about Trump is that he isn't a career politician. That's a move in the right direction. It was intended that folks would take time away from their careers to serve their community, state, or country for a brief period and then go back to their previous lives.
We would all be better off if we, as voters, instituted term limits by always voting the incumbent out of office. It's easier to do the right thing when you aren't concerned about getting re-elected.

Top Bottom