What do you think is the best JKU suspension/lift and why?

JAGS

Hooked
While my opinion doesn't count for much, I'd have to agree with many folks posting before me.

As someone looking to mod my jeep in the next month or two, I've been researching heavily what I want out of my jeep. What's my end vision I have and what is the best line to get there without the dreaded "buy twice!"

Eventually, I'd love to be long arms/coilovers/EVO-lever. But budget will not allow for that right now. With that in mind, I also don't think a budget boost is going to do the trick.

While even still more than I wanted to spend, I'm now prepping my bank account and my rig for 37s and the 4" enforcer. It will easily get me to my desired set up and provide the ability and opportunity to push myself and my rig as I get more and more comfortable on difficult trails. Also important is that when ready and budget allows, I can more easily upgrade to coilovers from the ENF without a lot of waste.

So as someone in a similar boat, consider all the feedback from WOL, GCM and MCPuck. They know their shit. My two cents is also to look at budget and making sure you stage your build properly.

Spartan

While my opinion doesn't count for much, I'd have to agree with many folks posting before me.

As someone looking to mod my jeep in the next month or two, I've been researching heavily what I want out of my jeep. What's my end vision I have and what is the best line to get there without the dreaded "buy twice!"

Eventually, I'd love to be long arms/coilovers/EVO-lever. But budget will not allow for that right now. With that in mind, I also don't think a budget boost is going to do the trick.

While even still more than I wanted to spend, I'm now prepping my bank account and my rig for 37s and the 4" enforcer. It will easily get me to my desired set up and provide the ability and opportunity to push myself and my rig as I get more and more comfortable on difficult trails. Also important is that when ready and budget allows, I can more easily upgrade to coilovers from the ENF without a lot of waste.

So as someone in a similar boat, consider all the feedback from WOL, GCM and MCPuck. They know their shit. My two cents is also to look at budget and making sure you stage your build properly.

Sounds like we are thinking along the same with our builds.

Spartan

So that it's clear, your lift height should be determined by the tire size you are hoping to run, not buy what say you will need to run a specific trail. For instance, while Kane Creek can be technical toward the end, I can assure you that at the hands of an experienced driver, it can be done in a stock JK with 32" tires.

Having said all that, 4" of lift is A LOT OF LIFT and one that will get you clearing 37" tires with ease. Is that where you are wanting to be?

I would rate myself as mid range driver. Think I need a few more years and a few more trails before I even get close what I would call an experienced driver.

I was happy with the 35in KM2 that my old Jeep had. They where a great all weather Hwy/Off road tire. I know I want at least 35" tires and 3" of lift. What would I gain other then ground clearance by going to 37"?

I don't want to go so that it doesn't feel stable aka top heavy. Needs to still handle Hwy speeds well because it's a good days drive to Moab,Taho, or CA.

Spartan

Let me know if you have any questions,

DD vs ENFORCER?
can you add the EVOLever to both or just to the DD?
What are the benefits of add the EVOLever?
Is the EVOLeave easy to add at later time?
is it worth getting without coil overs or is it better to wait till you can do coil overs?
Are all the EVO lifts 4"?

if your budget allows, you should do this:

DoubleD long arm kit
BoltOn coil overs

this will get you as far as you need to go and give you great ride on and off road.

if your budget doesnt allow that, I would go with the ENFORCER kit. there are a couple different shock combinations that people are going with that all seem to be working well, from RANCHO 9000 to Bilsteins to FOX to KING and they all seem to be happy. I personally am running KING 2.5s (without the fancy red turnie knobbie thingies) and could not be happier!

all that being said, I think Chris @ ORE is you best resource for EVO data though...

andrew-

Spartan

Would I need a new driveshaft with either 4" EVO lift?
If so is there one that would work better then another?

I have the 3.5'' game changer lite kit made by metalcloak and It rides very well. the articulation they get out of a mid-arm kit is amazing. If you look up what other people that have the lift are saying you will not find one bad thing about the kit. The best thing about it is it's 100% bolt on

I have the rock krawler 3.5" flex system and I love it. I finished it off with Bilstein 5100 shocks and it rides great on and off road. I'm sure if you put a little more money into The shocks it'll ride like a dream but I still love mine even with the cheap bilsteins

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would rate myself as mid range driver. Think I need a few more years and a few more trails before I even get close what I would call an experienced driver.

I was happy with the 35in KM2 that my old Jeep had. They where a great all weather Hwy/Off road tire. I know I want at least 35" tires and 3" of lift. What would I gain other then ground clearance by going to 37"?

I don't want to go so that it doesn't feel stable aka top heavy. Needs to still handle Hwy speeds well because it's a good days drive to Moab,Taho, or CA.

Running 37's will get you playing on harder terrain. Having said that, there really aren't too many trails in Moab or even Tahoe that I haven't been able to run without too much effort with just 3" of lift and 35's. In a lot of ways, I personally feel it's the perfect setup for a relatively mild build that won't break the bank.

DD vs ENFORCER?

Long arms will correct your suspension geometry on a taller lift and will allow your ride to feel a lot better on pavement. They will also allow your axle to articulate more true and with less swipe. If you're planning on running 37's from the get go and maybe 40's some day, this is the route I would take. An Enforcer kit retains factory arm lengths and gives you great performance without having to spend a ton of money. If you're just planning on running 35's with the possibility of going 37's some day, it's what I would recommend.

can you add the EVOLever to both or just to the DD?

Yes, you can install a Double Throw Down and EVO Lever to both a short arm kit or the DD long arm kit.

What are the benefits of add the EVOLever?

There is simply NO kit out there that will allow you to run a true 14" of vertical travel with coil overs that DO NOT require you to cut into the body or have them dangling dangerously low to the rocks. The EVO lever is the best system you can get for the rear - PERIOD.

Is the EVOLeave easy to add at later time?

Yes. It can be added at any time but, you will want to install the matching front coil over setup at the same time too.

is it worth getting without coil overs or is it better to wait till you can do coil overs?

If you can afford coil overs, there really is no reason to wait. If you are on a budget, I would do what you can now and have a great time. If or when you can afford to upgrade, do it at that time.

Are all the EVO lifts 4"?

No, you can get the Enforcer kit made to run 35's or 37's and the latter just yields 4". All the coil over kits will allow you to set your ride height.

Would I need a new driveshaft with either 4" EVO lift?
If so is there one that would work better then another?

You would need a new front shaft if you have a 2012 or newer or, have an 07-11 with an automatic. If you have a 2-door, you will need a rear shaft as well.

Spartan

That was great info, and very helpful.

I don't think I'm going to go bigger then a 37" tire, still not sure if I will start with 35" or 37" tires, but if I go with an EVO lift sooner or later I'm going to want to do the EVOlever and coil overs. With that being said would a 3" enforcer be a good base, or would it be better to go with the DD?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I don't think I'm going to go bigger then a 37" tire, still not sure if I will start with 35" or 37" tires, but if I go with an EVO lift sooner or later I'm going to want to do the EVOlever and coil overs. With that being said would a 3" enforcer be a good base, or would it be better to go with the DD?

If you're going to start with 35's, I would start with an Enforcer kit. There really is no reason to go long arm until you're running 37's and really, even with that, you can do a lot with factory length arms. Trust me, I've done it.

GulfCoastJeeper

Ill say this. For a jku and a rubi like you said you're getting, I'd plan for 37s. I ran a TJ on 35s, but with the longer wheel base of four doors I just feel like the 37s go better. That being said I'm on 39s now and am debating on going ls swap vs buying a home. May be addicted.

Bigblake58

If you have the money, the GenRight Elite JK Kit is the way to go!! There is nothing that comes close! I don't have this setup on my JK (yet) but I have driven their shop JK and its dream! High speed whoops or low speed crawling!! You can even run 42's with a little modification! (What I want to do!) The kit just gets pricey when u add the install, 60's and the motor to push the 40's. For something a LOT less money check out the BDS 4 1/2" LA and GenRights Coilovers! Great ride without going broke!

http://youtu.be/TY4UuomepGI

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the money, the GenRight Elite JK Kit is the way to go!! There is nothing that comes close! I don't have this setup on my JK (yet) but I have driven their shop JK and its dream! High speed whoops or low speed crawling!! You can even run 42's with a little modification! (What I want to do!) The kit just gets pricey when u add the install, 60's and the motor to push the 40's. For something a LOT less money check out the BDS 4 1/2" LA and GenRights Coilovers! Great ride without going broke!

http://youtu.be/TY4UuomepGI

Don't get me wrong, GenRight makes great stuff and I'm not trying to knock this kit in the least but, unless you can qualify that with more than just you've "driven their shop JK and it's a dream", I'd have to say that your assessment of "there's nothing that comes close" is a stretch.

EVO MFG

Looks like wayalife answered the questions.

Spartan

First let me say thank you for everyone input, and welcome info on brands that I don't know much about.

Checked out GenRight's site and it looks like they might have good stuff, but I don't know much about them. A little more info then it drives nice over whoops would be nice. Whoops are fun, but I'm building my Jeep for Rocks. I have been to the Teraflex shop, talked with their guys, and beat the **** out of some of their stuff, so I know I like them. I have be following Off Road Evolution for years. While I haven't been to their shop, or used any of their stuff. I have talked to some of their guys online, and they seam like good guys. I have also watch Off Road Evolution, and Project-JK beat on Off Road Evolutions stuff on many of the same trail I have run or plan on running, so I'm that if I decied to got with them that I would be happy with their stuff as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First let me say thank you for everyone input, and welcome info on brands that I don't know much about.

Checked out GenRight's site and it looks like they might have good stuff, but I don't know much about them. A little more info then it drives nice over whoops would be nice. Whoops are fun, but I'm building my Jeep for Rocks. I have been to the Teraflex shop, talked with their guys, and beat the **** out of some of their stuff, so I know I like them. I have be following Off Road Evolution for years. While I haven't been to their shop, or used any of their stuff. I have talked to some of their guys online, and they seam like good guys. I have also watch Off Road Evolution, and Project-JK beat on Off Road Evolutions stuff on many of the same trail I have run or plan on running, so I'm that if I decied to got with them that I would be happy with their stuff as well.

GenRight make great products but you should know that the kit posted above is a "builders kit" meaning, you will just get a box full of cut and bent metal and you will have to do a lot of fab work to get it installed. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just something you should be aware of. If you're capable and willing to do things like cut holes in your tub to run rear coil overs, this is a kit worth considering for sure. Regarding TeraFlex, I would recommend against their kits if you are wanting to play on the rocks. I have personally run their lift kits and can tell you that their bushings will not be able to handle big flex. Also, just because you can beat the crap out of a suspension kit doesn't mean that you can't do the same way more comfortably. TeraFlex offers some of the harshest riding coils I have ever ridden on and their speeds bumps are little more than foam in a can. Again, this is me speaking from personal experience running their stuff - you can find much better. For me, that better is EVO products but, there are other companies that offer better than TeraFlex too.

Spartan

Looks like wayalife answered the questions.

yes he did, and I his anwser where very helpful, sounds like I need to decied on a tire size first. That's good to know, so know I have to decied if I want to start with 37" or 35" tires. I had no complants about my 35" KM2's, but after watching Mel's post on here last night I'm thinking about getting Trail Graplers.

THE ENFORCER with EVOlever and coil over would leave me alot more room for other upgrades then getting the DD with the same set up, but not sure if I would like 37" tires with THE ENFORCER. All this is going on a 2012+ JKU Rubicon, and don't want want to have to regear right away. My old 2010 JKU Rubicon had not problems with 35" tires.

I'm sorry if it seams like I'm rambling, but any input would be very much appreciated.

Spartan

GenRight make great products but you should know that the kit posted above is a "builders kit" meaning, you will just get a box full of cut and bent metal and you will have to do a lot of fab work to get it installed. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just something you should be aware of. If you're capable and willing to do things like cut holes in your tub to run rear coil overs, this is a kit worth considering for sure. Regarding TeraFlex, I would recommend against their kits if you are wanting to play on the rocks. I have personally run their lift kits and can tell you that their bushings will not be able to handle big flex. Also, just because you can beat the crap out of a suspension kit doesn't mean that you can't do the same way more comfortably. TeraFlex offers some of the harshest riding coils I have ever ridden on and their speeds bumps are little more than foam in a can. Again, this is me speaking from personal experience running their stuff - you can find much better. For me, that better is EVO products but, there are other companies that offer better than TeraFlex too.

Thanks for the info. I do have a buddy with a fab shop that will make me good deals on things, but would rather not cut holes in the tub.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I do agree with the teraflex bit. I do have there 3" lift and while the flex joints were not very good to me at first I seem to have them dialed in now. But after I run out of the spare rebuild kits I have I will be upgrading to Johnny joints. And the coils are stiff but with a good set of shocks it will even it out a little bit. Although the plush ride coils would e a lot better. :thumb:

Top Bottom