What do you think is the best JKU suspension/lift and why?

Bigblake58

Don't get me wrong, GenRight makes great stuff and I'm not trying to knock this kit in the least but, unless you can qualify that with more than just you've "driven their shop JK and it's a dream", I'd have to say that your assessment of "there's nothing that comes close" is a stretch.

The reason I think it's the best is the design in the links, when doing any kind of wheeling you want the least amount of stress on your components, their design is just that! For example take a pen, place you index fingers on top and your middle fingers under the pen, move one hand up and one hand down (how most suspension systems mount) Now move you index fingers together (GenRights design) which do u feel would put less stress on you axles and give more travel. And by putting the Coilovers through the tub parallel to their mounting points the is puts almost no stress on the coilover, unlike other "bolt on" systems that put your shock at an angle. And finally GenRights kit is a stretch kit as well, so it pushes the front and rear axle out allowing for a smoother ride, lower COG and room of a larger tire without any rubbing or binding. But it does have a 7" larger break over angle but that is compensated by running the larger tire. I'm not trying to put down any other suspension but last time I checked it was an opinion on "which suspension/lift you thought was the best"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wait a minute it stretches your JK 7" but you don't cut the fenders or tub to accept the stretch? So your actually allowing less room for tires then.

If your explanation of the genright coilovers is correct then I would defiantly not recommend it.

But I will await eddies response as I should get a good laugh from him picking your response apart. :thumb:

GCM 2

Also the more components you have the more you break!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using WAYALIFE Mobile app

Are suggesting that the EVO set up will break because it has lots of parts? If so, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not trying to put down any other suspension but last time I checked it was an opinion on "which suspension/lift you thought was the best"

Easy there, no need to get your toes stepped on. Never said you were putting down any other suspension but your opinion is worthless unless it can be backed up with some kind of substance. Having said that...

The reason I think it's the best is the design in the links, when doing any kind of wheeling you want the least amount of stress on your components, their design is just that! For example take a pen, place you index fingers on top and your middle fingers under the pen, move one hand up and one hand down (how most suspension systems mount) Now move you index fingers together (GenRights design) which do u feel would put less stress on you axles and give more travel.

Thanks for schooling me on suspension systems. I'm new to all this and have no idea how triangulated suspension system or or things like that work. Just out of curiosity, exactly how much vertical travel do you get with this kit? To be clear, I'm talking about ACTUAL vertical travel and not what size coil over you can run with it.

And by putting the Coilovers through the tub parallel to their mounting points the is puts almost no stress on the coilover, unlike other "bolt on" systems that put your shock at an angle. And finally GenRights kit is a stretch kit as well, so it pushes the front and rear axle out allowing for a smoother ride, lower COG and room of a larger tire without any rubbing or binding. But it does have a 7" larger break over angle but that is compensated by running the larger tire.

You'll forgive me but, the EVO lever uses a cantilever system that put almost no stress on the coil over, still allows for 14" of true vertical travel and does all this without having to cut into your tub. This system works so well that Dave Cole of KOH deemed it "too fast" for stock class and any JK equipped with it would have to run their rig in the Ultra 4 class. As far as stretching goes, I'm pretty happy with approach and departure angles on my JK now and not so sure I'd want a 7" greater break over angle on my Unlimited. On a 2-door, I could see the benefit of this but, unless you cut out your rear corners, I think you might have a bit of rubbing. Last but not least, how do you install a kit like this and make it work with your factory gas tank? :idontknow:

Bigblake58

Wait a minute it stretches your JK 7" but you don't cut the fenders or tub to accept the stretch? So your actually allowing less room for tires then.

If your explanation of the genright coilovers is correct then I would defiantly not recommend it.

But I will await eddies response as I should get a good laugh from him picking your response apart. :thumb:

It pushes the rear axle out 4 and the front out 3 to the ideal spot in the middle of the wheel well, and use their fenders and rear bumper to add more clearance in the well

GCM 2

Such as? I'd love to hear what you have personally seen break.

BigBlake58 also needs to clarify EVO bolt on coilover or EVO lever which one will break because of more parts. To date there has been one EVO lever failure, it was due to the install shop in another state inserting bushings incorrectly into the frame/trusses for the levers. From that point on EVO mfg no longer ships these parts unassemled to install shops.

GCM 2

It pushes the rear axle out 4 and the front out 3 to the ideal spot in the middle of the wheel well, and use their fenders and rear bumper to add more clearance in the well

Since I am not familiar with this suspension, it adds 7" more to the wheel base of both 2 door and 4door?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Last but not least, how do you install a kit like this and make it work with your factory gas tank? :idontknow:

I know your question was rhetorical...

But for those who don't know, however, this kit requires you to run a different gas tank.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

3" forward? Really?? On our Vengeance build, we were only able to push our front axle 2" forward and that still required the relocation of the steering box as well as modifications to the cross member. Any more than that and the pumpkin on our ProRock 44 would have prevented us from obtaining maximum up travel. Of course, if you're just looking for a taller lift or one that has little up travel, I suppose you could make it work. :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BigBlake58 also needs to clarify EVO bolt on coilover or EVO lever which one will break because of more parts. To date there has been one EVO lever failure, it was due to the install shop in another state inserting bushings incorrectly into the frame/trusses for the levers. From that point on EVO mfg no longer ships these parts unassemled to install shops.

Well, as you know, we're running both kits and if he's seen a lot of either break, I'd sure like to know what they are so that I can keep an eye on things. Moby has over 70,000 miles on his EVO lever and we've yet to see anything break. Of course, we're just mall crawlers so, that could explain things.

Since I am not familiar with this suspension, it adds 7" more to the wheel base of both 2 door and 4door?

Yup, you would get a 7" longer wheel base. Not sure that's something I'd want on a 4-door but, that's just me.

I know your question was rhetorical...

But for those who don't know, however, this kit requires you to run a different gas tank.

LOL!! Busted :D

A triangulated suspension system is nice to have but, it's far from an end all design. For me, I wouldn't want to replace the gas tank that I have for a smaller one and just to get it. In the end, the amount of travel you can ultimately have is dictated by things like your drive shafts ability to operate without binding up. At one point and time, we had to run limiting straps on Moby because of this very reason. Needless to say, I think we have as much travel as one could hope to get and still without a triangulated suspension setup.

For the record, the GenRight kit is a great kit but I'd hardly say "there is nothing that comes close!" Based on my personal experiences and what I have seen, the EVO DTD with EVO lever is "better". You don't have to cut into your tub, you don't have to lose your gas tank, you still get a true 14" of vertical travel. This is a kit that hundreds of people have, tested and proven and I don't know if I could say the same about the GenRight kit. Of course, that's just my opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before the point is missed, I really do like the GenRight kit and mainly because it is original. The EVO coil over system has been out for a while now and rather than copying it like so many other companies have done/are doing, they came up with something more original. Their selling points are sound and I think there's definitely an audience for it but, if you're gonna say "there is nothing that comes close", it's gonna take more than just some guy's "opinion" for me to believe it.

GCM 2

^ imagine the turning radius on that......:doh:

Exactly, great point! Going from 116" wheelbase on a 4 door to 123" doesn't sound like much but it's huge!

And as Wayolife stated, I have no beef with GenRight parts. I think Tony Peligrino is an awesome person, he makes really, really good stuff too. In fact EVO, GenRight and Poison Spyder all use racing as a test bed for the parts they sell to everyone. and that takes balls to put your stuff in front of a crowd of people and race it in a professionally sanctioned event. It shows they have faith in their gear. My only beef, as usual, is when someone throws another mfg under the bus without knowing anything about the equipment they are talking smack about. It's how these threads get derailed, get ugly, people's feelings get hurt and somebody takes their football and goes home. If you can't talk facts and back it up, stay out of the ring.

Bigblake58

Easy there, no need to get your toes stepped on. Never said you were putting down any other suspension but your opinion is worthless unless it can be backed up with some kind of substance. Having said that...

Thanks for schooling me on suspension systems. I'm new to all this and have no idea how triangulated suspension system or or things like that work. Just out of curiosity, exactly how much vertical travel do you get with this kit? To be clear, I'm talking about ACTUAL vertical travel and not what size coil over you can run with it.

You'll forgive me but, the EVO lever uses a cantilever system that put almost no stress on the coil over, still allows for 14" of true vertical travel and does all this without having to cut into your tub. This system works so well that Dave Cole of KOH deemed it "too fast" for stock class and any JK equipped with it would have to run their rig in the Ultra 4 class. As far as stretching goes, I'm pretty happy with approach and departure angles on my JK now and not so sure I'd want a 7" greater break over angle on my Unlimited. On a 2-door, I could see the benefit of this but, unless you cut out your rear corners, I think you might have a bit of rubbing. Last but not least, how do you install a kit like this and make it work with your factory gas tank? :idontknow:

It all depends on which coilover you run, 12", 14" or 16" and the size of the lift, you modify the suspension when installing to your ideal kit and you have to add a different tank to the rear where the storage area is, still the stock 20 gallons tho.

Also I don't mean to talk shit about EVO products, but the more parts you add to something the more parts that have a chance to break. I'm NOT saying that the EVO Leaver will break and is a POS, but every kit has it flaws. For all I know it could be the strongest kit on the market, but everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. EVO says theirs is the best and GenRight says theirs is the best, but its all about what the consumer wants and what you prefer and like better. EVO and GenRight are both great companies, they have their ups and downs. And before I was set on the GenRight kit, I TRIED to get a quote from EVO for the Front and rear DD and Long arm kit, but after a month of trying I gave up with them, 3 emails and 4 phone calls later, still nothing so I lost respect for them if they treat their customers that way, and GenRight is right down the street from me so its easy to talk to them, but they sell expensive products and a lot of stuff is built after you order it.

Top Bottom