WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
How is that people continue to post without knowing what thread they are in? This is happening more and more, it's like thread jacking for the retarded. Oh, and so as not to offend, I mean retarded in the most respectful and complimentary way.

WJCO

Meme King
How is that people continue to post without knowing what thread they are in? This is happening more and more, it's like thread jacking for the retarded. Oh, and so as not to offend, I mean retarded in the most respectful and complimentary way.

:cheesy: Nice recovery lol

I don't get it either, lol.

Wow WJCO the trail pics look awesome glad that the trail damage was fixable
Sorry to hear bout the battery issue hope all works out

Nice trail pics, that WJ is looking good. One of the Nicest ones I've seen.

Thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
Changing fluids after all the water crossings from Saturdays run. I only had time to get to the front diff today.

IMG_20170702_192857_213.jpg

I've come to find out it takes just about one beer to make sure the RTV has enough time to setup before adding the fluid, so that's what I'm doing right now.

IMG_20170702_192935_350.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Changed rear diff fluid this morning.

IMG_20170703_214627_490.jpg

Then went for a drive in the mountains, which was a stupid idea, because there were a ton of people up there. The hours of stop and go traffic caused some higher than normal engine temperatures. Found out my fan clutch was shot, so changed that this afternoon.

IMG_20170703_214809_387.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Changed the tcase fluid today. It was overfilled and thin, it may have had water in it. Fluid in drain pan looked fair, so hard to say. Either way, glad I did it.

IMG_20170706_192941_073.jpg

Tanktitan

Changed the tcase fluid today. It was overfilled and thin, it may have had water in it. Fluid in drain pan looked fair, so hard to say. Either way, glad I did it.

View attachment 266957

Help me understand something. I would have thought that if I had no gear oil leaks, water could not get in. But as I think about it now, you do have higher external pressure under water. Any guidance on when to be concerned; that is, how long under water, how deep, etc., or is there some other way water gets in?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Help me understand something. I would have thought that if I had no gear oil leaks, water could not get in. But as I think about it now, you do have higher external pressure under water. Any guidance on when to be concerned; that is, how long under water, how deep, etc., or is there some other way water gets in?

Breather tubes usually; so deep water.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

It gets in through the breather if it goes below the water level

WJCO

Meme King

Breather tubes usually; so deep water.

It gets in through the breather if it goes below the water level

Transfer case breather tube?

It's kind of an unspoken rule if you're in a deep enough water crossing that covers the gear boxes for a prolonged period of time, the fluid should be changed shortly after. With that being said, neither diff had any evidence of water, and all of my breathers were way higher than the water level. I would just rather be safe than sorry. I changed all gear boxes fluids for about 60 bucks (not the transmission yet,).

Here's a pic and video of the trail last weekend, this was the deepest crossing, and there were about 5 good deep ones:

IMG_3229.jpg

Top Bottom