aTX's Tru WW Evo bolt on coilover build

Zevulin

Very intelligent argument. A quick google search shows exactly what badass forum you spend your time on.

View attachment 290290

You have wheeled your jeep one time. You got a flat tire and said you need to carry two spares instead of just patching the flat. You have proved time and time again that you have no idea what you are doing and that you have no knowledge of the off-road world. I don’t really care how many Jeeps you claimed you have built you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. My two door weighs what your four door does and there has never been a time where I have needed to reduce weight. And I have wheeled my jeep a lot more than you have yours. Get a grip.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is this guy trying to emulate Rob MacCachren or something? Dude ain’t a professional high dollar desert racer and he’s getting crazy over shaving some weight off his JK.

SDG

Caught the Bug
You should really be more concerned with where the weight is centered. You need to get a weight at all 4 tires... move your motor and trans back 3 or 4 inches, ditch the fuel tank, and put a fuel cell where the rear 2 seats were. Then you will be good to go lol.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I need to figure out how to drop more weight. Came in at 5,250 with a full tank, no top, soft half doors, spare and the tailgate. I already sold the tailgate, plan on pulling the windshield, getting rid of the front sway bar and ditching the Quarter Pounder for a basic frame mounted winch plate. How much does the hood weigh?

Why not sell out and build a buggy out of a YJ, or something?

aTX427

Very intelligent argument. A quick google search shows exactly what badass forum you spend your time on.

View attachment 290290

You have wheeled your jeep one time. You got a flat tire and said you need to carry two spares instead of just patching the flat. You have proved time and time again that you have no idea what you are doing and that you have no knowledge of the off-road world. I don’t really care how many Jeeps you claimed you have built you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. My two door weighs what your four door does and there has never been a time where I have needed to reduce weight. And I have wheeled my jeep a lot more than you have yours. Get a grip.

Name the place bro. I already tried reaching out to you about wheeling in Southern California.

Regarding that other thread, King made a mistake that I was trying to troubleshoot over the holiday. I was doing everything right, but they put the wrong top cap and overfilled the shocks. Not what I would have expected and it wasn't noticeably apparent. There isn't an area of this sport or most any motor sport where weight and weight management isn't a factory.

If you are good with your set - fantastic. I enjoy pushing the envelope and this is my build thread. Is weight holding me up - not necessarily, but I recently had the privilege to wheel with a super nice guy in Moab with arguably a much better build - DTD, long arm all done by ORE. I felt that we were equally good drivers and my Jeep out performed his several times on off camber climbs and on steep walls. Weight management matters. When done correctly, it makes everything easier.

If you want to constructively contribute to my build thread, please do. Otherwise don't. I could give a rats ass what you think.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Name the place bro. I already tried reaching out to you about wheeling in Southern California.

Regarding that other thread, King made a mistake that I was trying to troubleshoot over the holiday. I was doing everything right, but they put the wrong top cap and overfilled the shocks. Not what I would have expected and it wasn't noticeably apparent. There isn't an area of this sport or most any motor sport where weight and weight management isn't a factory.

If you are good with your set - fantastic. I enjoy pushing the envelope and this is my build thread. Is weight holding me up - not necessarily, but I recently had the privilege to wheel with a super nice guy in Moab with arguably a much better build - DTD, long arm all done by ORE. I felt that we were equally good drivers and my Jeep out performed his several times on off camber climbs and on steep walls. Weight management matters. When done correctly, it makes everything easier.

If you want to constructively contribute to my build thread, please do. Otherwise don't. I could give a rats ass what you think.

Lol are you telling me to name the place to fight? How old are we?

You thinking your bolt ones out performed a double throw down again is nonsense and you proving you have no clue.

12” or 14”. Ask your wife which one would perform better.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I recently had the privilege to wheel with a super nice guy in Moab with arguably a much better build - DTD, long arm all done by ORE. I felt that we were equally good drivers and my Jeep out performed his several times on off camber climbs and on steep walls. Weight management matters. When done correctly, it makes everything easier.

Mate I don’t know you and haven’t really been following your build, but this comment really speaks volumes. Your out of your depth.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Since I weigh more than a 40” tire and beadlock, when I wheel, I put my second spare in the passenger seat to help balance things out. If I happen to take a really big shit mid-trail, I let an equal amount of air out of the second spare.

So far, I has worked wonders for me. I feel balanced. 🧘🏻*♂️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I recently had the privilege to wheel with a super nice guy in Moab with arguably a much better build - DTD, long arm all done by ORE. I felt that we were equally good drivers and my Jeep out performed his several times on off camber climbs and on steep walls. Weight management matters. When done correctly, it makes everything easier.

This is me trying really hard to give you some friendly advice - stop... just stop.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Since I weigh more than a 40” tire and beadlock, when I wheel, I put my second spare in the passenger seat to help balance things out. If I happen to take a really big shit mid-trail, I let an equal amount of air out of the second spare.

So far, I has worked wonders for me. I feel balanced. 🧘🏻*♂️

Dude, you’re doing it all wrong. The air don’t weigh nothing. You’re welcome for that piece of advice. No charge.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I need to figure out how to drop more weight. Came in at 5,250 with a full tank, no top, soft half doors, spare and the tailgate. I already sold the tailgate, plan on pulling the windshield, getting rid of the front sway bar and ditching the Quarter Pounder for a basic frame mounted winch plate. How much does the hood weigh?

Look at race cars. Interior stripped to the bone. Get rid of everything you don’t need, including all but the driver seat. Seats are heavy as hell. Swap the stock driver seat for something lighter.

Think of the scene in The Martian, where they have to get the rocket as light as possible. Chuck everything that’s not absolutely necessary.

SDG

Caught the Bug
This is me trying really hard to give you some friendly advice - stop... just stop.
LoL! Your just biased because you have run both on the same vehicle... your trying to compare Apple's to donkeys... hahahah.

Did you have 2 spares when you ran the coil overs?

Here is what doesnt make sense to me... you trailer your rig, and bitch about weight... buy a fucking buggy and be done with it. Also your comparison is tardsy... bolt on coil overs vs DTD on off camber and hill climb? The guy on normal springs probably did just as well too. But what do I know, I bought a C63 to haul my jet ski to the lake.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't mean to jump on the dogpile but you may want to visit Grubbicons thread here. Short story is the guy started out with a great Jeep, tried to make it perform like a buggy, didn't work out, and he traded a guy to get a buggy. Seems like you're also trying to make your Jeep into something it isn't. Unless you go to aluminum skinned tube doors I don't see where you have any more weight to lose. Aluminum or fiberglass hood? I mean, unless you've had some kind of harrowing experience where weight was the cause, what is the endgame you're pursuing?

Edit: Sometimes a build comes to an end and its finished. Seems like you are at that point. Maybe just stop with this one and start another? The term "Gilding the Lily" comes to mind. Man you have a nice Jeep. Go Jeepin!

Last edited:

aTX427

I just got the Evo spec coilover's back from King and need to reset my front bump stops. I originally had extra bump added to keep the tires out of the front fenders and forward most body mount, but did some trimming to fix those problems. When checking bump stop at full flex (one side fully compressed and the other fully extended) I need to add 3/4" to protect the shocks, but that leaves 1-1/4" of shaft showing at full bump (both sides fully compressed). Question is - should I set the bump stops for the higher speed problem of both sides compressing (full bump) and let the shocks limit travel for low speed full flex crawling or live with wasted higher speed up travel and set the bump stops for full flex?

TheGrendel

i went back and rescanned your build. i think the others are right. i take you are a person that likes to tinker and improve things. but, at some point, you have to realize the base limitations of the JKU platform. you could continue to chase 2-3 pounds here and there. but, that's where you get into the racing game and the costs go up exponentially.

wheel what you have for awhile. you've done a ton a shit and built a nice rig.

WJCO

Meme King
I just got the Evo spec coilover's back from King and need to reset my front bump stops. I originally had extra bump added to keep the tires out of the front fenders and forward most body mount, but did some trimming to fix those problems. When checking bump stop at full flex (one side fully compressed and the other fully extended) I need to add 3/4" to protect the shocks, but that leaves 1-1/4" of shaft showing at full bump (both sides fully compressed). Question is - should I set the bump stops for the higher speed problem of both sides compressing (full bump) and let the shocks limit travel for low speed full flex crawling or live with wasted higher speed up travel and set the bump stops for full flex?

If I were you, I would leave it as is. I think for a majority of Jeepers, you aren't going to notice any more benefit of an inch of up-travel while enjoying your Jeep offroad. Just my opinion.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If I were you, I would leave it as is. I think for a majority of Jeepers, you aren't going to notice any more benefit of an inch of up-travel while enjoying your Jeep offroad. Just my opinion.

I have nothing to contribute.

2018-02-01 08_14_43-aTX's Tru WW Evo bolt on coilover build - Page 42.jpg
21k posts?! Where the hell have I been :eek:

Top Bottom